Monday, September 9, 2013

Negotiating Sponsorship

Leading up to Momentum's two annual events the Pink Ribbon Ball and Melbourne Cup Luncheon we've dedicated a large amount of time into securing and promoting sponsorships. Some times it seems as if we send out hundreds of sponsorship proposals only to receive little or no response. While this can be disheartening when you spend hours researching sponsors and personalising sponsorship proposals it's the reality for a charity organisation.  Although this has given me the opportunity to improve my writing skills and learn how to write a good sponsorship proposal that will attract potential sponsors.

The tips I have learned are:
  • Don't use the words charity or sponsorship first in an email else it will be deleted.
  • Personalise every sponsorship proposal directly to each potential sponsor.
  • Always start with who the organisation is and what they are doing before flattering the potential sponsor.
  • Always make sure sponsorship proposal conditions are correct else sponsors may be confused about what they should receive in return and demand more benefits.
  • Never email all sponsors together without BCC all their addresses as you reveal your contact list and invade their privacy.
  • Follow up on all sponsorship proposals to keep them aware of who you are and what you do.
But even if you write a good sponsorship proposal it doesn't guarantee anyone will sponsor you because there are numerous charities all vying for sponsors attention and companies only want to sponsor events or causes that will be beneficial to them. Momentum's CEO Barbara McNaught understands this as everyone is a business first and foremost so nothing is for free. This fact surprised me as I believed sponsors would donate items for free to the auction at the Pink Ribbon Ball but actually sponsors receive the reserve price back and the rest goes to the charity. But without these sponsorships Momentum would be unable to run these events to raise funds for any of their worthy causes. Therefore sponsorship contracts need to be mutually beneficial to ensure Momentum can support their cause and the sponsor can receive their moneys worth back in publicity. This involves actively promoting their association in all marketing materials and promoting their services to Momentum's members.

I conclude that sponsorship requires strategic negotiation but is extremely valuable when the right organisations come together.

4 comments:

Jayllee Elizabeth said...

Hi there,

I found your post regarding how to gain sponsorship exrtemely accurate and helpful. It's similar to what I have had to do with an event called Kidsfest I am helping organise at my placement. I find that the attention to detail and constant clear communication channels have helped build better relationship with these important stakeholders.

Thanks for posting your information!

Jayllee

Bec said...

Hi,
I have done work experience in the past with Momentum and found I learnt a lot of practical PR and events skills. Especially because you work one on one and are involved in most aspects of the planning and running process. I think one of the most important points you mentioned was "Personalise every sponsorship proposal directly to each potential sponsor" as people are less likely to read emails that look generic. Hope your enjoying your placement!

Bec

Unknown said...

Hi There,

After reading your post I felt like I could relate to both sides of the story. Both trying to attain sponsorships as well as being a sponsor of an event or donating to charities. I am doing my internship at the Perth Wildcats and I have seen how particular sponsors can be and if their logo is any smaller than any other brands, they no longer want to sponsor that team. I have also seen the many, many emails the Wildcats receive on a daily basis from charities or organisations asking for donations or to sponsor an event. Although it may look heartless when they decline, there really is only a limited amount they can donate because, like you said, at the end of the day, everyone is a business.
Great post, I look forward to reading the next one.

Nicole :)

Unknown said...

Hey,

Great post! I'm currently working on the Media Peace Awards with the United Nations Association and so I've been working on many sponsorship proposals as well.

I found your experiences very similar to mine as gaining sponsorship is a common struggle for small, non for profit organisations. I definitely agree that personalising sponsorship emails to potential sponsors is incredibly important and that follow up is a must.

Its also very vital for a non for profit organisation to be hopeful and always positive, despite the struggle to get there. I found that by following up with many of our media sponsors, its not only improved our relationship with them but has shown them our professional and business orientated style, even as a non for profit.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!