My usual mornings at my internship include
sipping a take-away coffee whilst reading up on industry blogs and researching
social media strategies. One interesting analogy I came across was through a column written by Trond Lyngbo involving the peppered
moth. These moths, once white with black spots,
faced a strange challenge in London during the Industrial Revolution where
buildings and trees turned black. The light coloured moths could no longer hide
against this backdrop, however some survived by turning black themselves.
The lesson learnt from this moth was clear
– to survive you must adapt and change with your environment…otherwise you’re
dead! This parallel relates to how social media has shifted and how it is imperative to adapt to these changes within the world of social media, if not, you have less of a chance in succeeding. This article greatly
interested me as one of my main priorities and tasks within my internship is
social media management.
Social media is changing every day, from new hashtags
to new apps, there is never a dull moment! I have already become knowledgeable on a range of mediums of social media networks that I had previously never heard of. Google +, Twitter, Facebook, Instragram, Pinterest, Weblogs, YouTube, LinkedIn and the list goes on...
I am responsible for uploading daily posts
and monitoring comments for an array of our clients, which can be quite a
tedious job as controlling messages on the digital world is becoming seemingly
more difficult. As fourth year public relations students we are all familiar on the importance of transparency for an organisation. Essentially, social media
management is all about maintaining this transparency, customer engagement and
openness.
It was an exciting opportunity to finally
put these years of university theory to practice. My first
encounter was responding to a customer complaint on one client's Facebook page –
to say the least, this customer was not afraid to speak their mind. It was my duty to resolve this conflict by
responding to the post with a resolution and reporting back to our client. As
I’ve learnt through my PR studies, it is essential to deal with these issues
online by being wary of censorship, as the way you are seen in the
public eye with issues online can either enhance or break your reputation.
This week I was also exposed to the world
of SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) and in today’s digital realm it is more
important than ever and still evolving! Many of the campaigns that I’ve been
working on involve SEO, by using social media as a means of multiplying the
impact, essentially through creating a viral word-of-mouth newsflash.
A new task I was given this week was to develop a campaign for The Tradewinds Hotel and more specifically their Christmas
functions. The campaign will revolve around generating awareness of this venue as an ideal solution for work colleagues, social groups or family/friends to socialise during the festive season.
That’s all from me for this week - thank you for reading!
Rachel.
2 comments:
Hi Rachel
It sounds like you are gaining some very valuable experience at your internship.
The peppered moth is an insightful analogy of the importance of adapting to a changing environment. It is crucial that social media is embraced in order for organisations to remain relevant and up to date with their stakeholders. However, it is important to remember that social media is only one platform for communication with stakeholders.
As you mentioned, social media is rapidly expanding and it is imperative that it is utilised appropriately and effectively, especially when responding to customer complaints.
I managed to find an article on social media which I thought you might like to have a look at, as it is relevant to your role with social media – ‘Demystifying Social Media’. The article discusses “social media’s core functions: to monitor, respond, amplify, and lead consumer behaviour” (Divol, Edelman and Sarrazin 2012, 66). Corporate examples are provided throughout the article, which makes for an interesting read. The article may even come in useful for your report.
Good luck for the rest of your placement!
Kind regards
Rachel Shortte
15484466
Curtin University
Reference:
Divol, Roxane, David Edelman, and Hugo Sarrazin. 2012. “Demystifying Social Media.” McKinsey Quarterly (2): 66 – 77. http://link.library.curtin.edu.au/p?cur_aleph000963220.
Hi Rachel,
I like your analogy with the moth, that’s exactly what social media has become and the people who haven’t altered their lifestyle to suit the new digital age get left behind and forgotten!
How different is it going from hearing about all these social media platforms at uni to actually being thrown into the deep end and being expected to be a whiz at using them all. Responding to a customers complaint would have been scary, I guess you could use all we learnt in class about crisis management and responding quickly and efficiently to customers.
Overall I agree with your comments about social media and look forward to how it is going to improve and expand in the near future.
Thanks
Lydia
Post a Comment