Sunday, September 8, 2013

PR at a Mining Resource Company- The other side

Hi Everyone,

This is my final blog for my PR Internship 393 Placement.
Having finished my placement nearly 4 weeks ago I wanted to hold off writing my final blog to be able to reflect back on the PR aspect of my role.
Having settled back into my comfortable marketing role, I am so much more aware of the constant overlap between the 2 professions and also the very immediate differences.

Having learnt so many brand new skills that have attributed to my knowledge of PR, including events organization, internal and external communication and stakeholder management it has made me fine tune my skills within my current marketing role.

I was fortunate enough to be come into my placement during annual report time! An experience which introduced me to the fast paced environment of PR. I followed my supervisor through a number of checks with the Managing Director as well as constant proofing and checking- one of the things I have identified as crucial within a communications role.

Some of the major things I have learnt about PR during my placement
  • Checking work is crucial, it doesn't look very professional to be releasing statements with spelling and grammatical errors
  • Building relationships is not just the job of the board and management, it should be done by every person within the communications department. Whether this be with shareholders, management, media or customers- every relationship is important. 
  • Near enough is never good enough! Well in my case this is correct. In the resources sector, companies are under so much pressure to maintain a crystal clean image therefor when writing any type of communication it is important to ensure all communications are facts are correct. 
  • Teamwork and your team mates are the best resource you can have around. Ensuring your values match up with the company as well as your team mates will make your job 110% easier. It can also help with resourcing! As one person may know something you dont. 

Speaking of teamwork, I wanted to finish by sharing a photo of the communications department at Imdex Limited! They are a wonderful group of people and fantastic to work with. They all are so experienced within their own way and make coming to work that much more fun!




1 comment:

Jayllee Elizabeth said...

That was really interesting to read your final thoughts on public relations at a mining company.

I've a few other friends that have done work placement similar to yours and they have also had the same conclusions. I think that within large corporations where your work is continuously in the public eye, it is so important to pay attention to detail!

Thanks for your sharing!