Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Ancient Software = Slow Process

Today I was asked to do a competitor analysis for Programmed. Kate wanted me to focus on Programmed’s competitor’s online presence and in particular noting what social tools they were using and what online content they were creating.

It took me a while to gather all the information but from my research I noticed that Programmed had a far larger online presence, with social media tools, websites and articles far superior to that of their competitors. 

However, one thing that I noted was rather detrimental to the whole searching process was the ability to source this information due to their lagging internet.

The Programmed Burswood office currently houses 60 to 70 staff, all using the one local internet. The company has on-site numerous IT and ICT staff that help with computer problems and technical issues. With this vast range of telecommunications staff catering to only small group of staff, the company’s internet should not be running so slowly. However, the main problem here is that they are still using such an old system – Internet Explorer.

Internet Explorer is rather out-dated in the 21st Century with the introduction of Google Chrome, Safari, and Firefox. These internet browsers are recognised as being far superior to Internet Explorer. 
Programmed also uses an old version of Microsoft Windows, which too, is disadvantageous to the computers user.

Programmed desperately needs to update their computer technologies in order to keep up with the expansion of computer technologies therefore make computing processes speedier.  The company also needs to look at updating their PCs. I spoke to Kate about this and she agreed completely, telling me that she doesn’t know why we are still using PCs or Internet Explorer.

Programmed may be far ahead of their competitors with websites, a regularly updated intranet, online presence and social tools, but if none of our staff can access the sites, what’s the point?


Adios!
Becky




3 comments:

Jacinta McDonald said...

Hi Becky,

How utterly frustrating for you!

What a complete contradiction as well - to be asked to monitor the success of the company's online presence when the internal internet system itself isn't even working properly. I feel your pain!

In comparison, I was working in a relatively small office environment for my professional placement. Although I had relatively up-to-date internet browsers there was a lack of computer workstations in the office. Unfortunately on some occasions there wasn't even a computer available for me to use.

Glad to read that you are reinforcing one of the positive "Generation Y" stereotypes (extremely technology-literate) in your placement.

It is imperative that organizations maintain a strong online presence to keep up with the ever-changing online media landscape.

You're advice to update the internet browsing software would be very beneficial to the entire organization. The 60 to 70 Programmed staff members would be on their way to better navigating the communications of the digital world.

Implementation of such a strategy would also be an excellent recommendation to include in your final report.

Good luck and thank you for sharing that hilarious image of Firefox & Chrome VS. Internet Explorer!

Jacinta McDonald #13958888

Simon said...

Hi Becky,

Woah, I did not realise that these problems still existed - I mean Internet Explorer... come on! :)

While I cannot sympathise on such a large scale as I work for a consultancy that has about 4 full time staff, a few part timers and multiple interns. I can say this, as we are all in and out of the office we always need to be in contact and the internet (not to mention we all use macs!) is our most valuable tool.

I can certainly see how this would prevent some urgent work being done!

Hope things start looking up for you!

Simon

Imogen said...

Hi Becky,

Thank you for this incredibly funny, but also realistic post!

I have come across a couple of companies still using Internet Explorer and while it seems like such a minor concept, using one browser over another, the difference in productivity can be overwhelming if they do not keep up with the current times.

While most browsers have their own individual benefits - I can't fathom any that would result in continuing to use IE.

I was happy to read that you took the initiative to suggest changing browsers, and with such a busy office it seems like the most logical idea. It would be interesting to know the reasons it hasn't been changed? - considering IE is well and truly obsolete at this point (Why didn't they try keep up with Firefox, Chrome or even Safari?).

If you were hanging around longer you should make it your mission to help them find a way to smoothly implement the transition.

I understand the woes of having to use technology for business and it being to faulty to use reliably. my internship placement does have fantastic internet, and we all use our own computers (I'm working at a volunteer not-for-profit, so there are a few computers around the office but no guarantee you will get one unless you are there first!) so the browser is entirely our choice.

The big problem I have been encountering is that my company uses a very strict server/hosting site which likes to lock us out of our email accounts and the company's own website! Trying to communicate via email has been a giant issue for me, every time it will involve a hopeful attempt of logging in, failing and waiting up to two hours for IT to get it running again.

In an industry where time is money, and deadlines rule - why must technology keep letting us down?!
We can always allow for some human error (hopefully with pre-planned contingency plans, or easy fixes), but shouldn't we be able to rely on our computers?

All the best,

Imogen