As I’m finding out, my job as an intern is
more diverse and very different to what I originally expected. Bauxite Alumina Joint Venture (BAJV), has been
very good to me in offering a wide range of activities and jobs you will have
to undertake in a public relations field in a small organisation.
Recently I got to join my supervisor, a photographer and a small team of field workers, set off for Bindoon and Toodyay to take photos of exploration and rehabilitation work. Unlike my other work throughout this work placement, learning and experiencing what to do with a photo-shoot is nothing that we’ve learnt through the public relations course. I discovered it took a lot of planning and preparation to oraganise occasions like this and you had to be very organized and decisive about what was going to occur. Chantelle, my supervisor knew exactly what she wanted and had drawings and past examples of how it should be situated. Although a busy day, I did find this a great experience, as it was something new and different.
It was a whole new side to PR and managing the public relations and marketing sector in a small organisation, it was nothing like we have gone through in the course content, as dealing with media but not in depth to dealing with photographers was really covered I found, at least not like what I experienced. It was really interesting to see how things like that worked out, it was a lot of work by both parties for the photos to end up in advertising materials and on their websites.
I think this was a great opportunity for
me, as we haven’t and don’t do anything like it in the course at uni. It will
give me a step up and past experience if and when I have to organise something
like this again
4 comments:
Sounds really interesting Fiona! What was the photo shoot for exactly?
I had a similar experience on the photo shoot I was on for my internship. It was all really well planned and I was able to experience another side of PR.
I also got a chance recently to take photos of the advertising campaigns my internship placement company, Programmed, was broadcasting at the time.
Did you have any say in the photographs? Would be interesting to hear more about this one!
Hope you are enjoying your placement.
Adios!
Becky
Hi There,
The pictures look so nice! I'm a little jealous you got to go on a photo shoot, how fun!
Have you done a shoot before? Ive never been on one so this is so cool. What was your fav part of the shoot/best experience?
Emily
Thanks for sharing this part of your journey, and I love to see that everyone is getting to work in such diverse roles!
Taking on a few different work experience roles in public relations so far, I know exactly the type of role you were expecting.
You spend most of your time doing media monitoring, newspaper ink spreading from the pages to your fingers to your face. Slipping out quietly to the ladies just to ensure you haven't given yourself a moustache like Charlie Chaplin! If you are lucky enough to escape the ink-filled pages you may be lucky enough to make the calls that the paid employees don't warrant spending their time on, researching information for other's to use, or photocopying.
Fortunately I have found work experience which lets me spread my wings metaphorically speaking, and I have been able to be involved with so many projects, some of which I would have never dreamed of doing at the other workplaces!
I'm so happy to infer from your post that you are being allowed to do the fun jobs too! Where you involved beginning to end of the shoot? Or just fortunate to go along on the day? Either way the photographs looks like it would have been a blast!
Hey guys, thanks for your responses
The photo shoot was to update photos of staff and their recent work, since all the photos they have are from before their Joint Venture was formed. I was able to talk to the photographer about the different equipment he used and I found it very interesting as I did two photography as electives over my course of study.
I have never done a photo shoot before this day and I was just fortunate to tag along for the day but managed to get a lot of of the day. Didn't have much of a say because my supervisor had it all planned out but I was able to suggest points that were taken onboard by the photographer, so I was happy with that
Post a Comment