In my last week I worked with Corporate Communication team. This
department deals a lot with the Minister and addresses any scrutiny Tourism WA
receives for allocation of time and resources. This entails speech writing for
the minister and writing media releases. I got to draft up some forewords that
thank guests for coming to regional events. There was a template I could use
which thanks guests, outlines the benefits of Tourism WA’s involvement, a little
bit about the event and the area the event is being held in. Feedback I
received on writing forewords was that it is less descriptive and creative as
Destination PR writing. Destination PR writing is about promoting the regions
whereas Corporate Communication is more to the point and factual.
I got to have a coffee break with the Corporate Coms team
and was able to ask them a lot of question about what the benefits and
challenges of their positions and working with Tourism WA. A challenge faced by
Tourism WA, like most organisations, is budget constraints. Being in the office
mid-year I got to see how the team predict what budget they will need for the
following year and how they prioritise the use of what funds they have to
spend. This has to be well thought out and done ethically as funding for
Tourism WA, being a government department, is tax payer’s money. When it comes
to the fair allocation of resources it seemed that everyone tried to approach
decision with the interest of the tourist, destination and industry in min
I have really enjoyed my practical placement. It has been really good
to be able to put the theory I have learnt in PR units into practice. It has
been really good to see how a PR team work together and how they work with
other departments to ensure projects, the organisation and destinations are
promoted. I received a lot of positive feedback about my work and my
professionalism from the team which really built my confidence in a new,
professional environment. I think one of the biggest challenges doing placement
is gaining confidence in a new, professional work environment. Tourism WA was a great work environment and I would like to work with them again in the future!
1 comment:
Hi Bec
It's so interesting to see that different departments in Tourism WA have different strategies and public relations ethics.
The thought never crossed my mind that in the Destinations sector you would have to be creative, fun and be able to portray places in WA is a descriptive matter, and then have the complete opposite in another department.
That would have given you a great opportunity to learn and implement a range of writing styles and learn which is more effective in what area.
Sounds like you thoroughly enjoyed your internship!
Post a Comment