Sunday, October 27, 2013

Saying Thank You Doesn’t Begin to Cover It!


Before I began my placement at the City of Perth I was unsure about whether I wanted a career in public relations or whether I would use my degree to work within a different field. Sometimes University work can become monotonous and the idea of a career in that certain area can become increasingly less desirable. Being able to undertake a public relations placement unit demonstrated to me the difference between a University environment and a practical working environment within an organisation. I am sure I’m not alone in saying that this placement unit has been an eye opener and provided invaluable experience.
The best thing about working for a local government organisation like the City of Perth is the diversity of work that comes across your desk. One day you can be writing a speech for the Deputy Lord Major and the next organising stilt walkers as an advertising tool for Carnival Macabre. By the way, if you have some spare time (what spare time!) then head down to Northbridge Piazza to enjoy Carnival Macabre 25 October – 3 November. Carnival Macabre is a week-long festival to celebrate Halloween and Mexican Day of the Dead. There are a variety of ghoulish, spooky and interesting events and activities planned.
Leaving the City of Perth is one of the hardest things I have had to do, cue the tears. Everyone I have had the pleasure of working with in my role as a Communications & PR Intern have been welcoming, supportive and above all, friendly. I constantly looked forward to my Thursdays and Fridays at the City of Perth and its true what they say, if you love what you do then you will never work a day in your life.
On my last day the Marketing, Communication and Events Unit put on a morning tea to say goodbye and thank you. I managed to say a few words without crying, which is a big thing for me. I hope the entire unit and especially Natasha, Sonya, Adam, Di and Kate understand how grateful I am for the opportunity and how much they have helped me develop into a capable and confident public relations practitioner. Oh and the chocolate cupcakes I brought in for the morning tea were a great success!
Below is a picture of the beautiful flowers I was given by the Marketing, Communication and Events Unit.
 
 
On my first day at the City of Perth I was given an access keycard (picture below) which is required to be used in the lift, to get into the office areas of each level and also to get into the levels if you use the stairs. I cannot tell you how many times I forgot my keycard and just as I was getting the hang of taking it with me everywhere I had to go, I had to hand it back!
 
 
By now I am sure most of you will have finished your placements. I hope they have been enjoyable and provided you with excellent experience.
This is my final blog and I would like to wish you all the best for your future career, whether in the field of public relations or wherever your degree takes you.
Good luck, I am sure I will cross paths again with some of you in the future!
Rachel.

5 comments:

KaylaMS said...

Hi Rachael,

Your placement sounds like you have had such a diverse experience and a lot of fun! I love the events planning side of PR and it certainly sounds like you you got a lot of that during your time.

All the best for your future endevours and I hope this have opened your eyes to PR. It certainly did for me!

Beth Bolt said...

Sounds like you had a great time being a part of the City of Perth team! It's always nice to see a company make such an effort to thank an intern for all their efforts; too often interns are allowed to leave without any acknowledgement, which I think makes them feel a little ‘used-and-abused’. Kudos to City of Perth for maintaining such a positive corporate culture.
Based on your experiences with the City of Perth Rachel, would you consider a future working for/in a government subsidiary?

alm1110 said...

Hi Rachel,

It sounds like you had a great experience interning at the City of Perth. I understand your worry about working in a monotonous job as I would hate that too. But I have experienced in my internship that there is always different and exciting tasks to do as a public relations practitioner. I have also changed my view of working at a not-for-profit organisation in the future after undertaking my internship. Do you think you could work for the government in PR after your experiences at your internship?

Ashleigh

Taneika said...

It sounds like you had a great time working with the City of Perth team :) I too loved the diversity of my role in my internship and it's always wonderful when you have such a loving and amazing team to work with as well (I cry everytime I leave my place of vacation/intern work although I know I'll be back!).

Wishing you all the best in whatever you decide to do with your degree

Taneika

Unknown said...

Sounds like you had great time, hope you all the best with your future endeavours in the industry. Finding a good place to work can always be daunting at first but over time gets easier.
Positive attitudes however can make or break your workplace. Keep up the good work:)