Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Well, that's a wrap!



So it comes, time for my illustrious stint as the Westfield Carousel PR Intern has come to an end! I am happy to announce that the company has offered me a full-time position at the end of my University degree and although not directly employed as a PR professional, I have my foot in that proverbial door! 

I would like to focus my last blog on some key learning’s I received form my time as an intern for Westfield Carousel, the learning’s pertain to both the PR profession and the development of a career in general. At Carousel, we have a Big Ideas room, filled with bean-bags, and a white board with employee’s favourite quotes. In light of this, my last blog will be a collection of these quotes as key learning’s. 


We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
One on of my first days as in my role the Centre Manager quoted Aristotle, the words rung in my ears and almost six months later they still run through my head. I wish someone had given my some advice like this at the beginning of my University degree; to shed some light on the fact that while you may get high distinctions one week, you’ll never get through a course with a committed constant effort. The same rings true for the professional environment. If you give a substandard effort, no one will turn around and say “that’s ok, last week you did really good.” To be a professional you need to be at your best at all times.

Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching?
This quote pertains to the corporate culture of Westfield. I have noted the company to have an attitude conducive of hard work, comradery and innovation. When there are challenging times, the PR department needs to step out and put on a facilities hat, or vice-versa. I have learnt from my peers blogs and speaking to others in the industry that this environment is not as common as I thought it was. The Westfield Corporate culture is one which I can definitely see myself being a part of, and specifically to PR I believe that an in-house role (rather than consultancy) is for me.

Don’t pray for better winds, while your competition is setting bigger sails.
While this is particularly relevant for the retail industry, with competition heightening and online shopping seeming to threatened the existence of bricks and mortar forums, I also believe it’s incredibly relevant to the profession of PR. PR in itself is a daily competition, competition to get the most coverage, most attendees at an event, best feedback from customers or clients etc. In a time where technologies are moving so fast, traditional media forms are diminishing in importance, firms have to be at the forefront of change to be successful. Instead of inferring that letter box drops haven’t been as effective as they once were and as a result no one came to an event, your competition is probably reaching YOUR audience through something more innovative than a letterbox drop. This is the thinking that constantly needs to be applied at Westfield, and I would think any role engaging in PR practices.

It has been a whirlwind and absolute pleasure engaging in a PR Internship at Westfield Carousel, and I would strongly recommend it to future interns as it gives a broad range of experience only a shopping centre could provide. I can't thank my supervisor (Marketing Manager) enough for her guidance and advice throughout my internship, I hope one day I can provide the same inspiration for a budding public relaitons professional.

I have included a few pictures below of my time within the inernship. Thanks everyone and happy shopping! 





4 comments:

Beth Bolt said...

I love that you’ve included quotes in your final blog Shannon, especially such profound ones! I was really inspired by the one regarding attitudes; if everyone (working professional or not) could think along those lines, the world would be bursting with positive, creative energy.
I believe at times, undergraduates may feel that our creative juices are restricted by marking guides and deadlines; not saying this isn’t the same in the ‘real world’, but I believe that when employed, we are expected to use our creativity to its full potential (in order to get the job done). Creativity and a good attitude can make all the difference between an average PR campaign and a magnificent one.
On a personal note, can I say how much I enjoyed reading your blogs; well composed, entertaining and insightful, I think Westfields Carousel was very smart to take you on full-time. Congratulations and good luck!

Brianna Wells said...

Hi Shannon,

Firstly congratulations on getting a full time job from your internship, This is something all us interns aim for.

I really like how you were able to communicate your experience through quotes. It's also awesome that Westfield have such an area set aside for you to sit down and be creative.

The idea of excellence being a habit is something i really agree with. Particularly as an intern i have aimed to only show my supervisor work that is of extremely high quality. I think in Uni although we always aim to do well, we are simply disappointed if we do not get the highest grade. However, In the workplace we would hate to feel as if our work was not up to the highest standard.

Working in a shopping centre is an area of PR that seems really interesting, particularly with the way media is changing and many have converted to online shopping. It seems like you have learnt a lot from your internship.

Goodluck with the future
Bri

Anonymous said...

Great job Shan, they'd be mad not to offer you a full time job it sounds like you'd had a great placement and have a great future with Westfield :)

Renee Jones said...

As a PR student and someone who frequents Westfield Carousel, I really congratulate you!

Every time I see an ounce of something that may have been generated by the Westfield PR department, I have thought of the creative and insightful minds behind it all, you included.

Congratulations on getting a full time job as well! You lucky duck.

I agree with Beth and Bri too - the Aristotle quote is fantastic. If only people had told us about all the commitment when we were first years...

Congratulations again, hopefully I will see you on my retail therapy trips to Carousel.
Sincerely,
Renee