Thursday, March 20, 2014

Welcome to the world of fashion!


The Studio is a PR, Events and Marketing company specializing in fashion, in which I was lucky enough to do my placement at.

Before I even arrived at the office I received a phone call from my manager briefing me on my first task. This involved printing of flyers regarding an upcoming STM Showcase and delivering them to stores and cafes as well as explaining to people what the showcase involved…well this was a shock, I was well unaware about the upcoming event and now I had to inform clients about it! It was within this first hour I realized there was absolutely no slacking off, this internship was definitely going to keep me on my feet. 

Nervous as anything, I madly researched the upcoming event that The Studio was organizing to ensure I wasn’t going to mislead anyone or give any false information as I was now representing the company.  It was also emphasized not to deliver the flyers to any retailers that the showcase was not featuring. Thank god for iPhones, I was able to research the designers involved and find which stores stocked their garments. 

After printing 200 flyers I entered the first store to approach the owner who rudely refused to have any kind of flyers presented in her shop. My thoughts on this intern were rapidly turning downhill, not to mention I’m not an overly confident person. After delivering to several more stores I decided to stick to small cafes, as the atmosphere was much more friendly and the owners were more than happy to accept my flyers.

Once I had finished this task I headed back to the office to meet with my two supervisors who I found out were actually much more friendly then anticipated. 
My second task involved updating information from a previous run sheet to suit the upcoming event, which was quickly approaching. After given my second task my nerves had settled and I was feeling more comfortable.

Well day one was a bit of a surprise, that’s for sure. It left me with several mixed emotion regarding the fashion and PR industry. Whilst it very daunting to be pushed out of my comfort zone it left me feeling more confident and I was eager to find out what was in store for me next.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sharnee, that sounds pretty hectic, very fashion involved. Do you feel out of depth at all, or that you're missing out on other industries that PR works with? Hope to here from you, Casey.

Unknown said...

Hi Sharnee
Sounds like you've scored a pretty exciting internship - i'm super jealous!
I think the fashion industry is one of the best industries to learn the ropes of PR considering how fast paced and busy it can be!
I'm looking forward to reading your future posts and hearing about the work that you're doing.
Best of luck,
Lana

Unknown said...

Hi Casey, Thanks for your reply!
In regards to your comment, I feel like the Fashion and PR Industry is something I would like to be involved in, in the future. Even though it is heavily fashion oriented, it is also very broad and therefore I don't feel out of depth as there are so many different aspects and areas to learn from. Hope this answers your questions!

Thanks for your comment Lana! Yes I'm definitely grateful for my internship, I'm feeling very lucky as many girls would die for this position! I'm learning so much working for The Studio and can't wait for what next week brings.