Saturday, May 17, 2014

The all-new Subaru WRX and WRX STI Media Launch!

On 6th of May 2014, Subaru launched their all-new WRX and WRX STI cars. The launch was held at Vivocity’s atrium in the evening. It was both a media and customer launch, and boy, was I excited to be part of the team! This was my very first media launch that I helped out and attended and I personally love cars.
Subaru is one of my agency’s clients where we handle their PR and we were involved in helping out during this launch. Our main objective of this launch was to handle the media while Subaru’s own sales and marketing team handled the customers.
Before the launch, there were several things that were needed to be done. First item on the agenda was inviting the media. Inviting the media was handle by my colleague who contacted and sent out invitations to various targeted media. Secondly, I was in-charge of the RSVP of the event and had to do call downs to media who hasn’t responded to confirm on their attendance.
Lastly, as in learnt in school, media kits are items given out during a launch or an event to provide information to the media, and this was the item that my colleague and I had to prepare. This was also my first time preparing a real media kit that was going to be given to the media. The week before the launch, my colleague and I headed down to Subaru to collect the specification sheets of the cars and the folders for distribution.

After the finalization of the press release, I printed copies of the press release to slot them into the media kits. Items in the media kit for the launch include: a press release, specification sheets on the cars.

On the day of the launch, we headed down to the venue an hour earlier to prepare and set up the registration table. After registration and giving out of media kits, we mingled around, spoke to the media, and checked out the cars.
I was also very lucky to see, interact and get a picture with various celebrities such as Alan Wu, who was the host of the launch and 2 finalist of Asia’s Next Top Model season 2 Jodily and Natalie who are the ambassadors of the cars. The cast of Ah Boy’s to Men Musical was also present and did some performance during the launch.




From this launch, I learnt that it is very important to always interact and keep a good relationship with the media, and always making them feel special. The negative feedback received from the media was the location of the launch and not being the only ones around to view the cars. This was actually brought up by us to the client, however, the client specifically wanted it to be a media and customer launch.

Besides some negative feedbacks, most of the media were very pleased with the cars and up to date, we have received quite a number of coverage on the launch of the cars.
After the medias and customers left, my colleagues and I took a photo with the car before we left. 


I feel very honored to be part of this team and attending this launch, as it definitely was an eye opener and something very new to me. It was an enjoyable and definitely a memorable first media launch that I attended. 

Till then,
Sheryl

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Sheryl,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I enjoy reading your post. Attending an event is indeed interesting and exciting. I was also exciting when I was able to attend our clients' events during my internship. I agree with you that keeping a good relationship with the media is important. As PR practitioners, we should know that media relations is key to the success of the organization we represent. Your blog post is truly informative and entertaining. Thank you for sharing.

Candice Goh said...

Hello Sheryl, the launch seemed really fun! In my opinion, chances to head out of the office are quite rare, so I guess it must have been a good exposure for you! Furthermore to rub shoulders with media and influencers, what a great opportunity! Thanks for sharing! :)

Pear ♥ said...

Hi Sheryl!

It seems like you had a lot of fun being involved and getting to interact with local celebrities. I agree with you that interacting keeping a good relationship with the media is very important as we may get exclusivity as well!

It was also a good chance for you to get to know the media, I suppose!! Thank for your sharing your experience with the Subaru event! :)