Monday, July 7, 2014

Experiencing new environment.

Hello everyone! 

I've bet everyone know the feeling of nervousness and anxiousness when it comes to their first day of internship. Yes indeed, I do experiences the same feeling as well. I started my internship on the 1st of July this year which is last week in Pustaka Miri, I was excited and scared at the same time. 

Once I reached my work place, I waited for my supervisor to approach me. The moment she approached me, she welcomes me with the warmest smile. Then I get to know the staffs as she introduced me to them. Quite shy at the same time but I managed to act cool and greet all of them. The staffs are friendly as the welcome me and asked me where am I from and everything.

Then she appointed me where my workstation is. I have my own desk and I was excited as I get to have my own desk. After that, my supervisor teaches me how to use fax machine, answering the calls (so far I haven't have the guts to answer, but I will and try), and also a tour in my workplace. I've bet as a PR person you have to know to answer call and make a call, because I saw the phone non-stop ringing. Finger-crossed for me to have the guts next time. My first task was recreate the brochures for Pustaka Miri. My supervisor wanted me emphasize on the main thing for it. Basically to attract the public to apply membership for Pustaka Miri. 

Second task is where I created a poster for the upcoming program on the 10th July 2014. the program is call "My Favorite Read". And so I fulfill the task and my supervisor is happy with the design that I created. I remembered Public Relations Techniques we did learn on how to create newsletter and stuff. For me it's the same where creating a poster involve design and it is totally worth it. 

Additionally, in that first week I have been exposed with communicating with new people which PR person should be good at (try to get out from my comfort zone), distributing feedback letter to each counters with different department, transforming press release into a newsletter, finding online news about Pustaka Miri and follow up with the meetings. 

As I did my task and everything, I am amazed of my surrounding as I am exposed to how the office or working environment is. The environment is very different from being a student I guess. But I'm sure the feeling of being in a new environment it is scary, but once you get use to it, surely you'll be fine. Handling PR tasks in the real world some of them could be different from what we learn from the campus. Word of advice is to be prepare anytime to all the trainee. Furthermost, I'm excited to see what else I'll be exposed to with. 


Cassandra Bintang Ngadan
15452764/7E0A7766


No comments: