Monday the 7th of July marked the first day of
my internship with the PR Communications Team at the City of Perth and it was met with absolutely woeful
weather! After successfully navigating public transport and managing to stay
relatively dry, I ventured up to level 6 of Council House, where I met my
supervisor. She showed me to my work station and introduced me to the members
of her team who were all so welcoming and friendly. We then took a trip to the properties
division where I was issued with a Visitors swipe card which gives me access to
the building and printing facilities.
Once everything was settled, Natasha talked me through
what I would be doing that day. Today was the first day of the school holidays
and the City of Perth had organised “Perth City Snowland” with the first session starting at
10.30am. My supervisor was meeting a journalist from Perthnow at
10.15am and invited me to come along, which was a great experience. The kids
seemed to be really enjoying themselves in spite of the weather, which was nice to see. Additionally, Natasha sent me some
information regarding the YMCA Youth Parliament Reception and asked me to help write
a speech on behalf of the Deputy Lord Major to present at the event. Wow, not
bad for my first day!
After lunch I returned to “Snowland” with my supervisor where
we met with a photographer who took some fantastic shots of the kids in action.
I assisted my supervisor to gain consent forms from parents to use the shots for
promotional materials for the City of Perth. The remainder of the afternoon was
spent working on the Deputy Lord Mayors speech. All in all, it was a busy day
but I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. It was great to be able to apply some of my skills on the
first day and there is a nice sense of camaraderie in the office.
I am looking forward to seeing what the next 19 days will
bring!
A child enjoying himself at Perth City Snowland. Picture courtesy of City of Perth
Claire Otway
15115685 | Bentley
15115685 | Bentley
Perth City Snowland Link: http://perthwinterarts.com.au/event/perth-city-snowland
Link to Perthnow article about Perth City Snowland: http://www.perthnow.com.au/entertainment/school-holiday-guide-10-fun-things-to-do-in-all-corners-of-perth/story-fnhocr83-1226965493735

1 comment:
Hi Claire,
Doesn't that look fun! You must have had a blast working with the city of Perth at such a vibrant event.
I was worried we wouldn't have had much of an opportunity to apply PR writing skills this early in the internship, but looks like you were throw into the deep in. Clearly you heading 'hitting the ground running' is a perfect way to describe day one too.
Good luck and be sure to check out my recent post ' Day 1 IN THE FASHION PR WORLD'.
Chebi
Post a Comment