Wednesday, July 30, 2014

How to make a good impression



Uni teaches you all about the technical skills involved in a PR role, but making a great impression is something you just have to learn from experience. Luckily, I had the ideal opportunity to learn all about it during my internship. 

I think making a good impression is a combination of being a helpful and friendly person, and following standard industry expectations (or exceeding them if you really want to make an impact). As being a good PR practitioner is dependent on building positive relationships, an excellent first impression saves a lot of hassle down the line. It establishes trust and rapport from the get go, and you’re more likely to achieve your organisation’s goals if you can find common professional ground.
As an intern, I’ve learnt several strategies for making a great impression, and I’ll share a few tips with you. 

Media Release Followup
Sending out a media release is always a gamble, but developing a good relationship with a journalist and making a good first impression certainly boosts success. After my supervisor distributed media releases to several newspapers and magazines I was asked to follow up with a phone call to make sure they had received it, and offer an interview with a senior staff member. I thought it was a great way to add value to the relationship between journalist and PR practitioner, as well as getting that media coverage.

Gift Bags
My company as a luxury cosmetics and jewellery brand often sponsors fashion and corporate events. This usually meant providing a goodie bag of samples and marketing material. Packaging took a surprisingly long time, but it was a great way to get in people’s homes and heads. Generous gift bags reflects well on the business, and ultimately sales.

Know your staff
Remembering little facts about everyone’s lives, especially staff can contribute to good relationships. It’s important to greet everyone in a room, no matter how important and to make an effort to get to know them. Having a good relationship with your fellow workers makes a great employee culture which will make an organisation more productive and make workers feel more invested.

2 comments:

Rebecca Keating said...

It was great to get an insight and understanding of some 'tips and tricks' you have managed to gain whilst at your internship.

I agree about the follow up phone calls. Whether it is for media releases, sponsorship proposals or invitations- a follow up phone call can make the difference.

I have found in my organisation, my supervisor as well as the senior staff will always appreciate when someone has gone to the effort to follow up on an email sent. Building a personal relationship relies on so much more than an email and it will show the person or organisation that you really do care.

I have been working on sponsorship proposals and most of the time these go straight to the junk mail box if you don't have the correct contact or rapport built up with that organisation. As hard as it can be to make the phone call and be told 'no' several times, it is better to know for sure and cross that organisation off the list.

It's a great idea to give out generous gift bags- I think that is something that would definitely make a brand stay in the mind of a consumer.

I hope you enjoyed your internship.

Rebecca.

Rebecca Keating said...

It was great to get an insight and understanding of some 'tips and tricks' you have managed to gain whilst at your internship.

I agree about the follow up phone calls. Whether it is for media releases, sponsorship proposals or invitations- a follow up phone call can make the difference.

I have found in my organisation, my supervisor as well as the senior staff will always appreciate when someone has gone to the effort to follow up on an email sent. Building a personal relationship relies on so much more than an email and it will show the person or organisation that you really do care.

I have been working on sponsorship proposals and most of the time these go straight to the junk mail box if you don't have the correct contact or rapport built up with that organisation. As hard as it can be to make the phone call and be told 'no' several times, it is better to know for sure and cross that organisation off the list.

It's a great idea to give out generous gift bags- I think that is something that would definitely make a brand stay in the mind of a consumer.

I hope you enjoyed your internship.

Rebecca.