Thursday, July 31, 2014

Time flies when you’re having fun!

Today has come around so fast. It marks the last day of my internship with the City of Perth. I have but one question, where has the past four weeks gone?

The past four weeks has been a whirlwind of authentic work, great conversation, lots of relationship building and many, many fantastic learning experiences. I will cherish these moments as I venture out into the Public Relations industry at the end of this year. This has been an awesome journey where the theoretical principles I have acquired in my degree have been applied in a practical (and fun!) environment.

My last week has been spent finishing up on various jobs, namely speech writing and production of articles for internal and external newsletters. I have also spent time with the team, asking them questions about their specific role/procedures for inclusion in my placement report.

I have been profoundly moved by the kindness that people have shown me in my last week. A colleague asked me to “connect” with her on LinkedIn, offered to be a referee as well as offering to look over my CV when I start applying for jobs upon graduation. Additionally, we have made plans to catch up for coffee in the coming weeks, which I am looking forward to. Other colleagues have also offered to write references for me which I am eternally grateful for. While being here, I was never made to feel like I was “just an intern” but instead a legitimate member of the team.


Update: On my last day, the team surprised me with a beautiful vase of flowers and a Myer voucher to say thanks. I was so surprised and humbled. The most lovely part was reading through the kind comments in my card. I felt like I was leaving a real job, not an internship!




The friendships I have made, I know will hold me in good stead in the future. 

So now, as I reflect on my internship, one thing has become abundantly clear; I have chosen the right profession. The life of a Public Relations professional is the life for me and I cannot wait to embark on my career. 


I wish everyone all the best on their placements, and their careers going forward.
Claire

15115685


No comments: