Thursday, September 25, 2014

Heart of Gold

Hi Everyone,

At the beginning of August I started my internship at Cannings Purple, a strategic communication organisation in West Perth. I arrived at the fourth floor office at 8.30am and was given a media package surrounding a campaign called #Heartofgold which had been launched for a client of Cannings Purple, the Gold Resources Response Group.  The positive public awareness campaign had hit the ground running at the Diggers and Dealers conference in Kalgoorlie two days prior. 


At 9am I attended the daily staff meeting in the board room, Executive Assistant Meg Popple runs the meeting which all staff are required to attend either in person or via phone contact.  The purpose of the meeting is for everyone to discuss their planned work for the day and for an issues to be discussed.


Over the next five days I drafted a number of press releases surrounding the #Heartofgoldcampaign and the positive impact of the gold mining industry on Western Australia’s regional communities.  In preparation for the press releases I worked with Danika Ferguson and Karen Brown to establish ideas for contacts and possible story angles. 

I then drafted interview questions, edited these with Danika and proceeded to record and observe as Danika carried out the phone interviews with a number of community members and mining employees. 

I have drafted two media release as a result of the interviews carried out with Danika, these are set to be released to Metropolitan and Regional media outlets in the coming weeks. 

In my few days at Cannings Purple I have been exposed to a number of different situations and have been able to apply the theory I have learnt over the past two years in Media Relations, Public Relations Techniques and Public Relations Principles.

I’m looking forward to the remainder of my internship.


Sophie McKay 16138667 

No comments: