Monday, October 13, 2014

Intensify 2014

Hi Everyone,

Today I attended a Network Ten seminar called ‘Intensify’ at their studio with the digital design team at Cannings Purple. The Melbourne Sales team had flown over to Perth with the goal of promoting and selling advertising packages to businesses in Western Australia, the special packages included coverage on channel ten over a six month period, advertisement design and a 65% discount. 

We arrived in the foyer at the studios and were greeted by a sales team representative, Brent and were offered a coffee or refreshment.  The 11am seminar had been sold out so the room was quite full.  Brent proceeded to take us to our seats and enquired about our company, clients and goals for advertising or media in the future.


Russell Howcroft was the main speaker at the seminar, he explained his role as Executive General Manager of Network Ten (I recognised him from the Gruen Transfer) and the important role that he believes that advertising plays in the success of businesses.  A short tutorial was shown in the seminar which explained the different packages that were available, the advantages of these and the prices attached to them.

Following the speech and video we were all invited to watch as the Channel Ten News was recorded for the midday update.  I found it incredible to watch from behind the camera as Narelda Jacobs read the news out in two takes. 

Following the seminar, Jamie and Cam decided that these packages and this form of advertising were not suitable to Cannings Purple due to the nature of consultancy and the variation of clients would mean that the need for TV advertising would not be there on a consistent basis. 



I found this experience very interesting as I was able to observe business to business advertising and learn about the possibilities that are being offered in the form of TV advertising for West Australian businesses.  I was able to link this experience back to the Media Relations unit I completed last year due to the relationship between advertising and public relations that I observed at the seminar, I even got to sit behind the news desk!

Sophie McKay 16138667

1 comment:

Sara Culverhouse said...

Hi Sophie

I really enjoyed reading your post, thanks for sharing!

I'm sure it would have been very interesting to visit Channel 10. TV and TV advertising is something we don't learn much about at uni. Although it's not a huge part of young people's lives anymore, it's still a hugely relevant medium for lots of people.

I suppose we don't use it often as a part of PR due to the cost of developing and running a TV advertisement. I guess more public relation-y things to do would be to get news interviews for executives, sponsorship for programs or product placement.

Thanks again for sharing!