It's over halfway and I can't believe how quick the time has gone! Juggling my full time day job, university and my internship has been fun to say the least. Not that I am complaining, the whole thing has been a massive learning experience in the importance of strict time management, a vital public relations skill, so it's not all bad.
As I mentioned in my first blog, while I have been doing lots of different things for Lisa my supervisor and her Rent the Runway designer dress hire business, my main directive has been to help implement social media platforms for the business.
Initially there was a lot of research and discussion around what type on information would be put on the different platforms, how they could benefit the business and their targeted customers, as well as the actual logistics of what information gets published when and by who. After much thought given to all this I was able to present Lisa with a short plan that outlined the who, what, when, how and why of the social media strategy for the business. In this I selected two main platforms - Instagram and Facebook - going into detail about some initial objectives for both and how we could achieve those goals. The plan looked at the use of social media specifically in relation to the launch of the business, focusing on the month in the lead up to the launch event and then launch itself.
I am happy to say Lisa was very happy with what I proposed. After some small tweaks to align a few sections to exactly what her vision is for the business she was happy for me to proceed onto the next stage - setting up the platforms.
Now this was not just registering the business email and adding a cute profile picture - the Facebook page alone involved several days of preparation. As Rent the Runway is a small business that has to focus on its expenditure I suggested that we save some money on developing a standalone website and use Facebook instead. Many businesses do this and the features of Facebook allow Rent the Runway to do exactly what it wants - show its products to customers. As such it was my job to put together a look book of the designer pieces for Facebook. This involved organising a fit model to wear the clothes and then taking pictures while Lisa styled various looks. From there its my job to edit and collate all the photos so that they are ready to be catalogued on Facebook when its goes live.
The process was really fun and very different to what I do at an office desk every day of the week. Running from here to there, pulling outfits, pinning clothes and buckling shoes definitely kept me busy. It also gave me a real insight into the fast paced, get stuck in and do-whatever-it-takes type of attitude I think you need to have in the PR industry, especially in the PR fashion industry. If that fit model needs double sided tape to stick down a precariously hanging Cavalli dress - I'm right there, scissors, tape and whatever else might be needed, in hand.
Happy interning - until next time!
Welcome to PR Internship - YOUR opportunity to put everything you have learned over the past years at university into practice and to get a thorough insight into what public relations is like "in the real world". This Blog allows you to reflect on your experiences, share insights with other students across campuses and to possibly give advice and support to fellow students. Please also see http://printernship-reflections.blogspot.com.au/ for more reflections
Sunday, October 12, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I loved reading your post! Definitely sums up how I feel jugging some many different things at once and it's nice to know that someone else is going through the same things as me. I'm excited to read more about your internship and I hope the next couple of weeks goes well for you.
Chloe
Hey Jessica,
I had just finished writing my blog post on how I had been assigned the task of writing a Twitter handbook for my intern boss and future interns when I stumbled upon your blog post. It just goes to show how much PR professionals have to adapt to changing technologies and platforms to stay relevant and connected to stakeholders, something both you and I can agree on. Sounds like your internship is keeping you busy, but for me personally I love experimenting with social media and finding new, engaging ways on how to attract a new audience since I'm a regular user of Facebook and Instagram so to be assigned this task is great!I think choosing Facebook and Instagram was a wise choice for the company you're interning at, as fashion is something which is very visually stimulating. People much rather look at a photo on Facebook or Instagram rather than a 140 character tweet.
Good luck with the rest of your placement!
Tahlia
I think that using of social media to promote a brand is great, especially in this era.
Everyone is on the go with their devices and is able to access social media everywhere they go.
I was assigned to use Twitter to help promote clients events and things they do, personally i think Twitter has been used more often for corporate uses, thus being a agency that handles technology clients, I think using twitter works for us.
But in this case, since yours is in fashion line. it'll be more exciting for your target audience to be able to view it's product on the go via Instagram and Facebook.
Hi guys! Thanks for taking the time to read my blog and for the feedback - its much appreciated.
Chloe - I have actually been following and reading your blogs, your journey with Shelan has been really interesting and I have taken some tips away in relation to social media. And don't worry your definitely not the only one juggling!
Tahlia - I just commented on one of your blogs before seeing your comment. I was drawn to it right away when I saw its heading. I think we have had quite similar experience and its so great you are getting to write the handbook. I would be interested to hear how it goes and how your placement organisation receives it.
Thanks again Jessica
Post a Comment