Hi all!
I am halfway through my internship and have recently completed the two busiest weeks of my internship career!
My supervisor recently went on a three week holiday and left me in charge. After only a month of working at my internship I was suddenly thrown into the deep-end. No supervisor to check with, no one to answer my never-ending questions, just me, a little bit of training, and a lot of guess work!
To make matters a little more difficult, three events (book launches) had been scheduled during the time that my supervisor was on holidays. This experience gave me a new appreciation for all those looking to work in the events management field. I had never imagined how much running an event can involve, it seemed to be a never ending line of crises waiting to happen, never again will I underestimate the power of a master checklist!
In running these events I learned a number of things, the most interesting for me was having to create speech notes. Speech notes are something I haven't come across much in uni and so it was an entirely new experience when my supervisor asked me to prepare them for each of our key speakers. It was somewhat challenging trying to work the key messages of the company in to the speech notes, the other challenge was making sure our speakers actually stuck to the notes I created for them. This involved a lot of checking and double checking to ensure the speech they eventually came up with was appropriate and in line with the companies messages.
Having completed these three weeks of filling in as communications manager for my company I can definitely say I have had an invaluable experience. I have learnt so much from being thrown into the deep end, primarily the act of juggling a number of important projects at one time. From finding media coverage for the authors our company manages, to running three book launch events, to simply fielding the diverse range of public relations queries each day, this experience has added a page and a half to my resume. It also gave me confidence in myself as a public relations professional, it let me prove to myself that I really can make it in this industry.
Lastly, what I will take away from this is to never underestimate the power of practical experience.
Welcome to PR Internship - YOUR opportunity to put everything you have learned over the past years at university into practice and to get a thorough insight into what public relations is like "in the real world". This Blog allows you to reflect on your experiences, share insights with other students across campuses and to possibly give advice and support to fellow students. Please also see http://printernship-reflections.blogspot.com.au/ for more reflections
2 comments:
Hi Katherine,
Your last two weeks sound very intense but what a valuable experience you have had. From my experience so far working in public relations/marketing, being thrown in the deep end is often the quickest way to learn. It involves trusting what you have learnt so far and your skills set and strong enough to produce work of a high standard.
Congrats on getting half way through your work experience, I hope it continues to be exciting for you.
Rebecca
Hi Kate,
I'm glad your internship is going so great! I really liked the comment you ended with, saying that practical experience is so valuable. I'm a huge advocate for trying to get as much hands-on experience as you can to complement a uni degree.
It's so great that you're getting hands-on experience in events management. I'm not a huge fan of event planning but I'm organising some events for my internship at the moment and I recognise how valuable the experience is! I've always had casual jobs in hospitality and events, but it wasn't until this job that I realised how much there is to do, and so many contingencies you need to have place.
I'm glad you're getting such amazing experience!
- Holly
Post a Comment