Hi everyone,
Wow what a busy week!
There is always so much to do, time just fly's by!!
I am interning for the CinefestOZ film festival in the South West, and am loving it!
But it's all systems go, and they have most defiantly thrown me in the deep end - which is fantastic and the best way to learn.
With so many events on in just 5 days, it can be pretty hectic and insane.
Today alone, I have been writing emails, selling tickets, setting up marques, sorting out issues with customers, writing up itineraries for the film stars and film directors (trying to hide my excitement), writing up door lists, ducking out to Aravina Estate for the Director's lunch to help run that event, then back to my desk in Busselton to organise sponsors events, take phone calls and sort out ticketing problems, jump into ABC's camera view for a news story and back to the cinema and marquee for tonights Premiere event of The Waler!
No time to get lost in all the chaos - here is what I think are the Top 5 Traits of PR Events Management.
1. Time Management
This is not a skill you can forget about once uni it over!!! You need to be able to coordinate yourself, the event and the people involved as a whole. I needed to make sure that no matter how many bumps were on the road, no matter how many interruptions come my way, that I was still at Aravina when I needed to be, as were all of the guests who I had organised travel for, I needed to make sure that the door lists for that evening were done, that I wasn't late for the ABC shooting (which arrived 15 minutes early). It's all about planning, and re-planning to get it all done!
2. Resourcefulness & Flexibility
As I learnt today and the last few days, the original plan for the day is never how the day pans out.
Things never go as planned - there are always last minute disasters right before the event. You need to be able resolve problems and think quick - come up with a fast creative fix, and you need to be flexible to jump on board and get something done! The show must go on!
3. Communication
You need to have the absolute best people skills and listening skills ever. In events management, and all pubic relations work, you need to be able to listen to and convey what the client wants to achieve, and listen respectfully to customers and sponsors, accept their positive (or negative) criticism or help them with any issues they may have. I spent a lot of time helping the general public, sponsors and the film stars with a huge range of problems and dilemmas. You need to be understanding and respectful towards them, no matter how petty the issue may seem. I needed to make sure I was always a plesant face for the film festival.
4. Organisation
I certainly underestimated exactly how much needs to be done for an event such as CinefestOZ. It was actually pretty overwhelming if i'm honest with myself. All events whether big or small need to be very well planned and organised. There must be attention to detail, to make sure everything is in place and runs as close to planned as possible. And this is impossible unless you are 100% organised!!
5. Keep calm and move on.
Murphy's Law states if anything can go wrong, it most likely will. There is no point getting your knickers in a knot. There is no such thing as an event where everything goes your way. There will always be some disaster, and some are unfixable. The last thing the events team needs is a cranking team member who gives up. Keep smiling, you are the face of the company and the event and need to uphold that fab atmosphere. Do you best to creatively fix the problem, and if it's not possible, there is only so much you can do. Try to make the transition as smooth as possible, and as invisible as possible to the clients, sponsors and guests. Cracking under pressure doesn't solve anything, stay calm!
Overall I was pretty stoked with how I managed my day, and feel I have learnt a lot about PR practice in the real world.
Lets see how I pan out for the rest of the week :D
Ta for now,
Verity
3 comments:
Thanks Verity! This has been really helpful, you made some great points! Sounds like you are doing a really great job.
Hi Verity!
I think it's great the way you have summarised the top 5 qualities of a Events Management Intern. I think all PR practitioners need these skills and it's great that you were able to illustrate them in your internship.
As a fellow CinefestOZ intern I think it would be very helpful to give your blog posts to our interns next year so that they know what to expect and the possibilities of learning if they apply and dedicate themselves so much as you did! As with CinefestOZ you really do get thrown in the deep end!
It was great working with you! Hope to see you again next year?
Cass
Hi Verity,
I think you have summarised the top five qualities of an events management intern well. I must admit, that I’m quite astounded at the amount of different events you are involved in organising. It sounds very full on, and I think you should be extremely proud of yourself! Well done!
An event that I have been steadily organising throughout my internship, has finally taken place! Organising this event took me many hours. As I had to organise the venue and logistics for the event, and also help promote it.
The fourth trait you have raised, I couldn’t agree more with. When planning events, there is certainly a lot of attention to detail! Also as you said, it can become extremely overwhelming when you think about the endless list of things you have to do.
Organising the nametags for my event was supposed to be one of the finishing touches. However, I extremely underestimated the amount of time that it’d take to make them. I used Eventbrite to allocate tickets to guests, as there were only a limited number of seats (180). Eventbrite allows you to generate nametags online, however these looked extremely tacky. Therefore, I downloaded an excel spreadsheet from Eventbrite to generate my own. Unfortunately the affiliation of each person attending wasn’t in this speadsheet. Although the affiliation of each person appeared in the Eventbrite generated nametags. Can you believe this!! This meant I had to manually add in each person’s affiliation to the excel spreadsheet after working this out by finding their name in the Eventbrite generated nametags. This took me over two hours. Things are never as simple as they seem!
Thanks for the interesting read Verity, and I hope you enjoy the rest of your internship!
Regards,
Sarah Koch
Post a Comment