Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Twitter Tutorial

Hi guys,
It's not long now until the end of semester which is why stress levels have risen due to the mountains of work I'm sure everyone has had. However, i have breathed a sigh of relief after finally finishing my internship report. Apart from doing a final edit and putting my blog posts in, it is all done and dusted which I couldn't be more excited about. The reason why I had a time frame to finish the report was so that I could send it off to my intern mentor, Sandra, for her to have a look over the report in order to fill out the appraisal form.

As part of the recommendations section in the report, I suggested that Savvy Creations could better utilise social media platforms such as Instagram, Twitter and Facebook in order to promote their services. This is because setting up an account is cost effective for the company and social media is becoming such a huge component of Public Relations due to peoples dependency on the internet to stay connected 24/7. As a response to this, Sandra asked me during a meeting to construct a Twitter handbook as she wasn't too familiar with the platform. The handbook will be written as a step by step guide on how best to use Twitter in a business sense using layman's terms, outlining the benefits which will be received by Savvy Creations through using it. A lot of people seem to not understand how Twitter works and are a little put off to use it, preferring the convenience of Facebook or Instagram which are more straight forward, however, the benefits of using it in a business sense are immeasurable. I myself don't use Twitter on a regular basis, but I do have a strong understanding of how it works, its features and benefits through studying Web Communications and often having to use Twitter for assignments. This handbook will then be used for future interns at Savvy Creations to assist with social media monitoring tasks and building an online presence for both Savvy Creations and clients.

I'm excited to undertake this task as my knowledge in social media is being put to good use so that hopefully future interns won't be daunted by using Twitter through following my handbook.

Happy report writing!
Tahlia

2 comments:

Jessica Wilson said...

Hi Tahlia,

Thanks for sharing your post. I found this one particularly interesting as I have found a similar situation at my placement. My supervisor doesn't have a huge amount of experience with social media herself and while she knew it was a necessary and very useful tool for her business she was unsure of the logistics and technical side of it. I have found that like in your case she has come to me quite a lot with questions on how does this or that work on Facebook or Instagram. While its somewhat nerve wracking to be speaking up as some kind of social media "expert" (I use that term loosely!) its also exciting to be able to contribute meaningfully on a PR tool such as social media. I think social media is definitely one of the areas that us as young graduates can be very helpful in. Good luck writing your handbook - I'm sure it will turn out great!

Jessica

Sara Culverhouse said...

Hi Tahlia

I really enjoyed reading your post. Social media's a little funny isn't it? On one hand it seems really easy to use and setup, free advertising really. But the maintainance and making content is time consuming and not an easy thing.

I feel that businesses often underestimate the effort that needs to go into a good social media presence. Not only is it creating interesting and valuable content, consistency is also important. There's no point starting up a twitter if you don't have the resources to commit to it.

Good luck finishing up your internship!