Be active. Yes, boys and girls. Whatever it is you do, be active. Well, I am not saying the get-your-gears-we-are-going-hiking kind of active. But more like me, encouraging you to engage in conversations with your colleagues. Scrap that "I am only an intern" mentality off and start talking to the people sitting next to your table. But remember, talk only when necessary. Oh, and another important point is speak your mind. These people love fresh ideas. Sky is the limit, so go crazy with your imagination, especially when you're called in for brainstorming sessions!
Ask questions. Don't be afraid to ask questions. It's not that it is expected of you to NOT know things, but it is OK to not know things. Interning in Edelman has taught me that everyone is still in the process of learning, and sharing various knowledge and insights with one another is one of the key steps to improving yourself as well as to grow together as a company. Trust me when I say ask questions. People appreciate questions rather than nods - because they're not sure whether you really understand what they are talking about... or not.
Lend a hand. Similarly to being active, ask for more work. If you think you haven't done or learned enough, offer yourself to help your colleagues. It can be as small as clearing up the Christmas tree at the office, to doing manual media monitoring (yeah, going through newspapers can be tough!) or as big as developing strategies for your clients. At the end of the day, we are all working towards reaching the same goal. So, it is definitely important to keep the dynamism going in the team!
That's it, boys and girls. I hope you enjoyed reading! Let me know what you think about my experience, and you can also share a couple of things you've learned from your internship! Do comment down below!
Til my next post,
Celeste


3 comments:
Hello there, Celeste! Thank you for these great tips. I believe that we could all apply these useful pointers and keep them in mind for now and the future. I for one would have to agree with you in regards to the "asking questions" bit. Sometimes it is hard to admit that you don't know how to handle/use certain things (screams at technological devices), but that does not mean that you should blindly do it anyways! I learnt that in my placement just a few weeks ago (I didn't know how to use a fax machine) and the results were disastrous. Anyways, great tips and thank you once again, for the handy recommendations!
Hi Celeste,
If I could just add one thing that I learned (in addition to the things that you have mentioned) it is that being observant can go a long way in teaching you about working in PR.
I learned the most in my internship by just noticing certain things. Such as the way someone’s written a press release for a particular client, the way someone answers the phone or emails, the speed at which each consultant completes each task, the way they go about each task (and asking questions here helps too), the way they dress, the way they talk, the way they discuss clients. I’ve learned so much about the dynamics of PR by just being there in the office and observing the little things.
It sounds like your internship has been a very rewarding experience, I wish you the very best in a future of PR!
Hi Celeste,
It sounds like your internship has been a great experiences and memories!
Congratulations on finally you completing your internship with Edelman!
The keys points you mention learning are some I can most certainly relate to.
I bet it was a wonderful placement for you. Thank You for your great tips!
Wish you have a nice day and Good luck of your PR report!
Best Regards,
WanYing
Post a Comment