Hi everyone!
Public Relations isn't only about writing, it features an extraordinary amount of speaking as well. Recently, we organized a workshop that specifically focused on the art of being an 'Emcee' or in other words, Master of Ceremony.
Members of the Corporate Communications Department also participated in the workshop to polish our skills. The workshop was run by Mohamad Ariff Azahari, who is the Principle Consultant of Positive Impression - an organization that specializes in corporate training and confidence building.
I have been an emcee before, on numerous occassions as well. But this workshop opened my eyes to plenty of other factors that influences one's ability to be an emcee. Ariff was also funny person, so the session was very engaging as well.
At the end of the one-day session, we were all put to the test. Every participant was handed a script, and we were told to be a mock emcee on stage, in front of everyone. It was amazing! Why? Because we immediately applied the tips he provided throughout the day, and the results - despite not being perfect - was incredibly encouraging.
The world we live in will relate to the essence of this workshop as well, if we look a tad bit closer. Our ability to influence individual doesn't entirely depend on our knowledge on a specific matter. Sometimes, it's all about how we carry ourselves and interact with them. Likeability plays a big part, and if we are able to capitalize on that factor, being a successful PR practitioner takes one less step.
Certainly one of the more interesting things I've learned from this internship!
Adios people!
1 comment:
Hello, Keesh! I have to concur that PR is more than just about writing, although it does hold a rather dominant role in PR. It is crucial for us to possess and develop certain standards of public speaking skills in order to succeed as PR practitioners. I would have loved to join this workshop and grab the opportunity to learn something interesting, seeing how often I was given the task of being an emcee at the company I had my placement with (LOL), it would've been wonderful! Thanks for sharing, Keesh! Cheers!
Post a Comment