Thinking back to the first day at my internship I can't help but think I've come a long way in a short time. Starting an internship for most is their first experience in the real world of their desired field. I found it very intimidating going from a casual retail job (where I felt my actions didn't make too much of a difference), to being an intern that contributed to a team that made things happen. I'm working in a field that I hope will one day become my profession, PR and events management together.
There are a few things I learnt quickly after being invited to attend the meetings to help plan their next major event that I think have helped me develop into a university ready employee...
1. Speak up! There is nothing worse then having questions and not asking. It is better to be safe then sorry. Or wishing you had asked someone something when you had the chance.
2. Ask Questions! These people are professionals in the field you want to one day be in. They have built up so much knowledge and experience, that from my experience, they love to share. A career of knowledge might be sitting next to you, all you have to do is ask questions. Pick their brain about everything you wish to know.
3. Get Comfortable. It's not always easy assimilating into a new workplace, nor is it having to speak to strangers all the time. These are things that we need to get comfortable with. Approaching people you may not know, making phone calls to people you have never met are all part of the job for beginners. The more comfortable you get with these things, the easier the job will be.
So far I am loving my internship, and I hope you all are to.
Briana.
Welcome to PR Internship - YOUR opportunity to put everything you have learned over the past years at university into practice and to get a thorough insight into what public relations is like "in the real world". This Blog allows you to reflect on your experiences, share insights with other students across campuses and to possibly give advice and support to fellow students. Please also see http://printernship-reflections.blogspot.com.au/ for more reflections
2 comments:
Hey Briana,
I completely agree with all three points, I have made a massive effort to speak up and state my opinion even if I'm scared of being wrong. My peers at Momentum Forum Events value everyones view and appreciate people sharing their thoughts, I find this very positive and supportive and think that all businesses should do so.
Enjoy the rest of your internship!
Aimee :)
Hi Briana,
I could not agree more. I'm over half way through my internship now and can see a difference in the way I handle different scenarios already.
At first, I was too shy to ask questions I feel like I should have already known but had to keep telling myself that the people that have agreed to have you intern at their company already expect that an intern is coming in with a fresh face and mind and are willing to learn and adapt to their new environments.
As Aimee said in her comment, I have also began to speak up and share more of my ideas with the permanent staff at Devahasdin and they are all incredibly open to what I have to say.
This internship is the first step in trying to secure a position in the PR field, so we all might as well get over our fears and use this opportunity to our best advantage!
Good luck with the rest of your placement :)
Post a Comment