Sunday, May 31, 2015

Introducing Activ

It’s never been a question about whether or not I want to work in a not-for-profit organisation, it’s always been about where and when.
For my public relations internship I have been interning at The Activ Foundation, a not-for-profit disability service provider that supports my family. Choosing to complete my 20 days with Activ was a fantastic way for me to help out at an organisation that helps me, and gain valuable experience in the  sector that I one day want to be a part of. I have so much to learn about the NFP industry and I know that interning at Activ will be a vital help in putting me on the path to success and my perfect career.
For more information on this fantastic organisation click here.

 Having the opportunity to intern at Activ has shown me just how crucial public relations is to not-for-profit organisations. Not only does Activ’s communication department have to regularly communicate with their key stakeholders (clients, supported employees, and their families), but they have to connect the organisation with the general public in such a way that they feel compelled to donate. As a not-for-profit, there’s so much more to lose if the organisation doesn’t succeed in these roles; they aren’t just supporting themselves, they are supporting a lifestyle that their clients rely on.
http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/making-a-difference/striking-out-als-ice-bucket-challenge-brings-flood-donations-n177896

The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge was an inspiring example of a successful PR campaign in the not-for-profit industry. 

One of the things I particularly liked when I learnt about Activ’s current public relations plan was their communication strategy, which is perfectly encompassed by their slogan: ‘Enabling those living with a disability to pursue a better life’. The organisation endeavors to send the message that those living have the potential and capabilities to reach their dreams, and that Activ facilitates this opportunity, not gives it. As someone with a disabled sibling, I believe this is crucial distinction and what makes Activs stand out as a disability service provider.


Activ's Artspace Event celebrated the artistic talent of Activ clients, and is a great example of how the organisation respects the capacity all individuals have to reach their dreams. 


I can't wait to share more thoughts with you about Activ and the amazing job the communication team does in fundraising and raising awareness for the organisation.


No comments: