First step
I started my internship at a non-governmental organization named
Prévention Information Lutte contre le Sida (PILS) fighting against HIV/Aids. I
should admit it, it was a relief for me to know that I can finally start my
internship. It was a real pleasure for me to join this team so as to put into
practice what I have been learning in class but moreover, to learn from them as
much as I can. The first days were light and I started by introducing myself to
other staffs via mail. I must say that, I was happy to receive back messages
from them expressing their joy to welcome me in the organization and looking
forward to meet me.
Language: A vital element!
I had a general knowledge of the organization but I still needed to read
annual reports and other documents in order to know in depths what it is all
about. There was quite a lot of reading to do but the more I read the more I
understood the importance of knowing more about the NGO. I realized how essential it was to read because
working in this specific field required a specific language. What I mean by
specific language is that, I should be careful about the words employed when
talking, writing articles or any other way of communicating to others so as to
avoid a discriminatory and stigmatizing language. As ethics is central to good
public relations, I become conscious that communicating with an appropriate
language is extremely important within the organization. I considered language
as a code of ethics because it was a duty to myself to adopt this way of
communicating so as to avoid discrimination towards people.
What it brings to me
Working with this NGO made me feel useful not only because I can put
into practice my PR knowledge but also it is a way for me to support this
organization for the cause they are fighting for. If you want to more about the
NGO or about HIV/Aids itself, here is a link that can help you to know more
about it http://www.pils.mu/.
I am determined to make the best of this internship
and it appeals to be a beautiful adventure ahead…

4 comments:
Hi Estelle,
Despite the fact that you are working for an NGO and I am working for a company, I believe that our experience of the internship is similar in may ways.
First of all, it was a relief for me as well to finally secure my internship. It made me realise that it will not necessarily be an easy task to find a job after we graduate. It is actually going to be very time consuming.
When I just arrived in the office it was quite challenging for me as well to get used to the environment and to the manner in which to address the tasks assigned to me. Therefore it is vital or at least very important that the team is welcoming when you start working with them, as it makes the adaptation more smooth.
Its interesting to see how others evolve through there internship as well.
Thanks for sharing and good luck with the report!
Hi Nathalie,
Thank you for reading my blog post.
Yes you are right, it will not be easy to find a job afterwards and as you mentioned, very time consuming!
Through the experience I had with the internship, i learned that I should have a positive attitude about everything, even if it seems to be hard at the start.
So, for finding the job later on, keeping a positive attitude about it will be helpful I think and also, keep on sending applications to several companies.
Having a warm welcome from the organization is extremely important and it is a kind of motivation for you to work together with them.
Thank you, and good luck for the report too.
Hello Gaelle,
Firstly I would like to congratulate you for having got the internship because it is not easy nowadays to find an internship. It seems challenging to firstly learn so many things and then be careful while speaking and writing articles. But I am sure that you will be able to make it. Just have faith in yourself and be confident in whatever you do. I would also advise you to ask others if ever have any doubts as it seems that everyone is friendly at PILS. Thanks for sharing the link. I am sure you are going to learn a lot of things ans this is just the beginning of a new journey where you will discover yourself and learn more.
Thank you.
Hans
Hi Hans,
Oh thank you, yes it is very difficult to have an internship today. You are right, it seems a little bit challenging at first but afterwards, once you are adapted to the environment, things become easier. I realized the importance of language there and even if it was difficult before (because I have been raised in a society who unconsciously uses a discriminating language towards the people living with HIV).
Yes I made it, and this experience showed me that, things always seems to be impossible before it is done totally. Yes confidence and faith are great points which helped to go forward. Yes I do ask questions when I was doubting and they were all always here to answer and teach me more about the NGO.
Thank you for taking a little tile to read my post.
Estelle
Post a Comment