Sunday, May 3, 2015

Public Relations - Not so "glamorous" after all

For the past few weeks, I was extremely busy with SOPB's Corporate Movie Night and the tasks that come with it are not so "glamorous" after all. Hence, the title. I never really realised how important the tiny details are when it comes to planning events. Every detail, big or small, should never be overlooked. I've learned a lot being here at SOPB and one of it is that there are a lot DIYs involved. 







Here on the left were my tasks; preparing cones for chips to be filled in for the cocktail reception before the screening of the movie, an Iron Man mask for decoration and cut out logos pasted on toothpicks. It was a tedious job but I sincerely enjoy doing it.  






We were preparing the food for the cocktail reception. It was an entire's afternoon of work steaming food and basically chopping and slicing. 












Here is the end result of our hard work displayed outside of the screening hall! The cocktail reception started at 7.00pm and the food was all gobbled down by my hungry colleagues in minutes. 









There was such a huge sense of fulfillment when I saw what our hard work looked like at the end and it only made me want to do better in the next events. I certainly learned a lot and had fun at the same time though it was rather tiring. I hope the upcoming events would be as much fun!

Here's a final picture to share of my colleagues (furthest left and middle) and I (furthest right) playing around with our props! Oh, I made those props too!

I hope that all of you enjoyed your placements as much as I do and are having a lot of fun.

Sabrina Lim
15648576

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Working behind the scenes of an event is so different from attending or even just working at an there!

Before I started at my internship I overlooked the amount of effort that was put into an event for it to come together and run smoothly.

By participating in the 'tedious' jobs you start to have a greater appreciation for the organisation and the construction of the event you are apart of.

When the day of the event eventually comes you can't help but feel proud knowing that your input and hard work helped this event happen.

Its good to hear that other people recognise its not all glitz and glamour at these events!

Your blog post helps me feel somewhat at ease knowing that its not only me who sometimes finds the planning and pr event set ups to range from under whelming to overwhelming at times.

I know these things need to be experienced though so we are ready to take on the PR industry when we finish.

#15506988 #PRinternship #BlogReview #Working #Behind #The Scenes

Diyana Bujang said...

Hi Sabrina!

From your post, I can see that you truly enjoy your internship at your placement. Even though you said the jobs you take part in are tedious, but you still sincerely enjoyed it.

I think those small and tedious jobs are a part of Public Relations works. From what I learnt at my placement, people are usually careful about small details in their work, because they are engaging with the public. The public will see and judge the works whether you have done a good job or not.

So just do your work like usual and don't give up!

Don't forget to tune in on my blog posts as well! Best regards!

Diyana 14575026

Briana Arbuckle said...

I can totally relate to all the small things that need to be done for the event to go as planned. I'm doing my internship in a small club where there is no team specifically dedicated to these particular roles. As it turned out they were all too busy for the small tasks which meant i had to do them. Getting all the logs to make the menu with sponsorship recognition, laminating all the certificates, as well as selling raffle tickets on the night. Definitely makes you appreciate all the work that goes into even the smallest events. I will be taking a lot more note when attending my next event.

Hope you continue to enjoy your internship,

Briana.

Kyoko Ying said...

Hi Sabrina,

It sounds like you’re enjoying your internship with some great experiences and memories!

I bet it was a wonderful placement for you. Looking forward to reading more about your journey

Wish you have a nice day and Good luck of your PR report!

Best Regards,
WanYing