Sunday, May 10, 2015

Supervisor in surgery?!

The other week my internship supervisor had to go into surgery and has been out of the office ever since. When he first told me he had to go for a while I freaked out. What am I going to do? How will I get everything done? What if I mess up? All these questions rushed through my mind and I was overwhelmed. Luckily by the time he had to go I had become comfortable with everyone in the office and they assured me anything I needed I could go to them, and I was still able to communicate with my supervisor via email and phone.

It pushed me to be more confident in myself, trust that I had actually learnt things in my time at university. Not be afraid to make a mistake because thats how you learn, and everything is proofed before being sent. Before he had to go I was uncertain about things I did, and often asked more questions then I should, because I knew that he was there to assist. But thats the thing he was there to assist my learning, and how are you supposed to learn when you don't push yourself to do things you maybe thought you couldn't, or you went that good at. Im glad that this internship has given me the opportunity to push myself out of my comfort zone, and to believe in myself that I can function in 'the real world.' My internship has taught me many things about building relationships, networking and bringing to life all the things I learnt at university. Most of all my internship has taught me to believe in myself, that I am capable of practising PR and that we are forever learning and thats ok.

I hope you all are enjoying your internships, and learning invaluable experiences to prepare you for your next steps in life.

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hi Briana! I'm Sabrina. I could totally relate to what you were experiencing after reading your blog post. I feel more at ease that I'm not the only one going through it. In my placement, I had to do a lot of liaising, be it with other departments or external parties. And that got me really nervous because I'd be sure I'd say something wrong and make a fool out of myself or I could do something drastically wrong. But luckily, my colleagues and supervisor were there to guide me through my insecurities/mistakes and as you have mentioned, we are learning every single day and it is perfectly fine. Hopefully through more experience, we would be more confident in our future endeavors. Do let me know what other experiences you've had in your placement! Looking forward to reading more.

Regards,
Sabrina Lim

Lauren said...

Hi Briana!
Interesting read about your internship experience. I often found myself asking many questions, just because my supervisor was next to me during my placement. While I probably knew they answers, making sure the answer was correct first always felt like a good idea!

It seems your experiences have helped you grow professionally, I hope it takes you far into whichever career path you choose to take.

Look forward to reading more.
Lauren