Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Twice Event, Twice Fun and Twice Responsibility

As referring to the subject above, I, Teo Rui-Ming, Vincent thus outline my personal experience of partaking in two events while interned at Meritz Hotel Miri.

So, I begun my internship last year 29 December 2014 and was immediately put into the menial task force. My task was to swap menus from old to new, run errands, laminate menus and help move heavy things for the coming New Year Eve Countdown. I would say that I was at first quite nervous as the first three days of my internship with Meritz Hotel Miri was just doing the above. Not even once, did I touch on any thing that more PR related. But then, on my third day there, I had sudden realization. 

We learned event planning in Public Relations Media Relations (If I remember correctly), even when it was all delegating task to who and who on paper. It dawn on me that I was actually doing all that delegation work, If you can catch my gist. The thing is, if I do not do all this small work, I won't know how hard or how easy it could be and will thus affect the future me when it comes down to the actual planning stages. 

Another event was the Annual Staff Dinner for Meritz Hotel Miri, as being the "Intern", I was given the heavy responsibility task of corresponding with any sponsorship request from other Hotels or business partners. 

Sponsorship is a big thing if you ask me, in the duration of my internship, replying or corresponding with sponsorship requests was my primary or number one job there. All 28 working days was spent on replying and corresponding the sponsorship requests. I got to admit that it is no easy task. 

Once, during one of my corresponding process, I called the wrong Hotel and I was shamed upon such simple mistake. I had to apologize to the wrong hotel and called the right hotel and when I told my supervisor the mistake I done, I was both lectured and sympathized at the same time. Mistake are always done but learn from it to avoid it at all. 

Anyways, I had fun learning from both events during my internship. I now know how hard it is to actually organize an event and how hard it is if things doesn't go as plan. I will use this knowledge that I gain and put them to good use in the present me and the future me. 


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello Vincent,

A brief description before going further. I am Gaelle from Mauritius and I was doing my internship in a non-governmental organization fighting against HIV& AIDS.

Focusing on what you said about doing a task in class and in the real PR context, I can relate to your experience since it happened that, I sometimes took time to realize the connection between the two. I don’t know for you, but based on my own experience, applying what I have learnt at university in real life was interesting and made me learn more about how public relations is functioning.

I totally agree with you when you mentioned that the small tasks will help you in the future, since doing these small things are in some way preparing you for bigger projects afterwards. For one assigned task I had, I did not get it right on the first time and this mistake was just a way for me to learn more about how my organization operates and about their way of working. For sure, I will avoid it next time, but from my point of view, doing something wrong is a blessing in disguise, because we are taking out a positive lesson from it.

Preparing an event requires a good planning and I believed that we should always keep in mind that no matter how well we planned an event, on the day, there will be at least one thing that will not go as planned, thus having a contingency plan, I think, is a must.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and I wish you good luck for your report.

Gaelle,
Mauritius.