Before I started my internship I thought that fundraising
was just asking publics for money and crossing my fingers that they were
feeling generous that day. I had an expectation that 90% of people who I asked would donate $5 or $10, simply because it was 'the right thing to do'.
I don’t think that anymore.
Through the weeks I’ve spent with Activ I have learnt that
fundraising is much, much more than that. I’ve learnt that it’s an art, one
that relies on meticulously sculpting the public’s opinion of your organisation
so that they will validate the work you do with donations. I’ve learnt that fundraising
is a lot like marketing; to be successful you need to research your target
audience and sell your organisation to that group as effectively as possible.
I’ve learnt that it’s the bread and butter for Activ – and all not-for-profits
for that matter – and that successful fundraising isn’t just ideal, it’s
crucial.
What about when the public already has opinions?
Although there have been great strides in disability rights,
there is still a stigma surrounding those living with disabilities. The general
public has detached themselves from the disabled community and has little
desire to connect with the issues they face, let alone an organisation such as
Activ. As you can imagine, this makes fundraising with the wider community difficult;
akin to shouting at a pair of deaf ears.
So how does Activ encourage the public to listen?
Rather than attempting to bridge the entire gap between the
wider community and the disabled community, Activ endeavours to bond the wider
community to a particular client by telling their unique story and how the
organisation has helped them. By honing in on a particular issue, it is easier for the general public
to understand what it's truly like for people living with disabilities and see the real impact Activ has on their lives. By connecting with the client, and comprehending exactly what Activ does for them, the general public becomes more inclined to donate to the organisation because they know exactly what (or whom) their money is supporting.
James is an Activ client who was the focal point of the organisations 2014 Christmas appeal. The communication department published the story of him and his Grandmother in magazines and in newspapers, as well as online.
The advantages of storytelling was an important lesson about connecting public's with not-for-profit causes, particularly because many organisations are often fighting community stigmas in order to bring about
social change and fight for their mission.
ReachOut.com uses videos to showcase the individual stories and struggles of people going through tough times to help break the stigma surrounding youth mental illnesses.


1 comment:
Hi Amy,
You discussed some really important points in regards to fundraising. Having done some work as a volunteer myself, I can recognise how some people unfortunately don't understand the positives that come from it, or fail to see the 'bigger picture' of fundraising.
As much as the majority of people may try to remain aware of fundraising efforts for local organisations, unfortunately there is too many of us that simply don't understand the comprehensive efforts these people go to as well as the degree of collaboration within an organisation to ensure their main messages and visions are reached.
Interning at an organisation such as Activ would be an extremely rewarding experience and I am sure you have gained a vast amount of knowledge during your time there and will take apply it to the next chapter of your post unviersity studies!
All the best,
Maddie
Post a Comment