Sunday, February 22, 2009

DPC and the Northbridge History Project (My Second Placement)

I have had two meetings with my supervisor and four emails to work out a program for my second placement with PR393. The first questions I ask myself… am I taking on too much? The second is… would I regret not taking this opportunity? So, I am taking on two PR internships!

The DPC is the Department of Premier and Cabinet in Western Australia. My supervisor is the Director of the Northbridge History Project. http://www.northbridgehistory.wa.gov.au/

My first internship is with FACET - Forum Advocating Cultural and Eco Tourism (as I have previously written about) so the link between these two organisation is the interpretation of cultural assets. This creates a nice 'synergy' so I think the two organisations will compliment each other well.

Now back to DPC....At first glance this may appear to be a very demanding position. Initially, it was discussed that I would have a dual role. Firstly to assist with the coordination of an event being the Studies day Workshop where a series of people will present their papers, some are academic scholars, and some are written community members. Secondly I was to undertake general PR for the entire Northbridge History project.

Due to a resignation of the Studies Day Coordinator within DPC, I have now been asked to coordinate the entire Studies Day Workshop on the 25th May 2009. This is indeed a compliment from the Director in that she believes I am capable of managing such an event. But it is also a concern, as the event is at the end of semester when many other things are also coming to a ‘crunch point’. Having worked on many events, I know that the last two weeks leading up to the event are the busiest time, as it is human nature that everyone leaves things to the last minute.

I guess I will just have to ensure that I am SUPER organised this semester!!!!

I should also mention, that my first task has been to write a speech for the Lord Mayor of Perth, to introduce the Studies Day at a formal presentation. Now, that is exciting.

1 comment:

Cathia Hung said...

Hi Ecoruth,
I must say you are very courageous to be doing 2 internships at the same time and you are right to stretch the need for time management.
I just want to share some words on this subject as this semester, I had 5 modules, among which, 2 were designs and my module of internship. I must say it has been very difficult to handle all these, especially the module design. I would advise you, if you have not yet done it, to do a time table, to organise yourself concerning events, meeting and everything and top of it, if you have other modules.
Perhaps should you mention your other internship to your directors? So that the person realised the workload and be understanding if there are clashes while you have meetings there and she just ask you here.
Make the most if these 2 internships and do not make the mistake of neglecting one for the profit of the other, good luck and keep us updated.
Like someone told me, if you are doing something, do it right or just don’t do it.
Good Luck