Yesterday was the final day of training for me. Mixed feelings sets in again as I will miss working there but at the same time glad that I get to go back to my student life again but I have learned many things and actually understood more about the theories of PR.
I believe everyone noticed this when the were doing their training is that every little thing, no matter if it is the packaging to the people behind the managing process, an aspect of PR is there.
In my case, I had a lot of contact with the guests not because it was part of my job description but because it is unavoidable. Being in the service industry especially I believe everyone is considered the PR person figuratively.
I managed to ask the Front Office Manager a few days back about the absence of a PR position in the hotel administration and her reply was simple. 'They do not know what tasks are there for him' but I think its more towards 'whats LEFT for him to do'.
Here are a few of the main tasks a PR person does in an organisation in general and who is currently doing it in my case:-
#1 - To be the advocate of the employers/owners
Right now this is the job task exclusively for the General Manager where he
will go to meet the owners and board members of the hotel and get their feedback.
#2 - To be the advocate of the employees
This too is exclusively the task of the General Manager where he fights for the needs of
the employees.
#3 - To be the advocate of the guests
This task falls upon several people,mainly the Quality Assurance Officer, the Banquet
Service Manager, the Food and Beverage Service Manager, and the Sales
Executives/Directors. They will listen to the guest requests and act upon it and if the
guests are not fully satisfied they will rectify it as best as they can. Even the General
Manager is part of this task if necessary.
#4 - To be the 'Image Engineer' of the establishment
This is a part of everyones job description and it falls upon the managers to ensure that
the other employee follows it. Every one is a part of making, maintaining, and if
necessary repairing the image of the establishment.
Those are just a few of what a real PR person does but just to prove my point that PR plays an integral part in everything and I believe it has been around even before they said it was important or noticed its existence. It came so natural to everyone that nobody actually noticed it.
So a small city like Miri, unfortunately, the PR position is still deemed uneccesarry not just because it is yet to be understood but its because some companies actually separated the tasks and given it to different positions (either unconsciously or vice versa) but I might just have a solution to changing their minds (Hopefully its convincing).
Everyone will usually say that its the 'in thing' and that its is necessary. I will say that it not only lightens the load of many positions in the establishment but also makes the administration process more stream-lined. Of course with the stream-lining not only are the load lightened but also there is a high posibility that one could increase the productivity and thus ultimately increase revenue and /or profits.
To be fair, I understand that at the moment it is still a growing profession here in my city and not many people would understand it let alone know how to utilize it but I guess they will learn sooner or later like I have about how its like to actually do it instead of analysing case studies and theories. I will continue to learn as a go along while I hope to succeed in this profession in the future.
Well, thats all from me this time. Hopefully my views are shared. As usual, thank you for reading and please do leave your comments.
Have a nice day and have fun everyone!
Peace.
6 comments:
Hey,
Congratulations on your final day of training!!! I must say i feel the same too, mixed feelings. But all good and bad things will come to an end some day.
I think I couldnt agree more with what you pointed out as the main tasks a PR person would do.
Its very much same for the companies here in Singapore. Even some of the big firms do not really grasp what is publicity and PR communications. And it takes a good PR person who is willing to stand with his/her integrity and tell the persons in charge what it means.
And I m sure this has contributed much to your experience being a PR person and wish you all the best!!
Do continue in what you believe and love.
Regards,
Ann Goh
Hello,
You have raised some very interesting points! One of the things which I have learnt during my placement is that PR is underappreciated in the good times and when everything goes wrong, people turn to the PR department for help. The role is so varied that it is difficult to define the role of the PR practitioner. Especially in the hospitality industry, many workers there would have areas of their job, which under other organisations would be classified as Public Relations. It must be difficult for you studying Public Relations when it is still a growing profession in your city. You must be facing some tough opposition!
Good luck with the rest of your studies!
Regards,
Chara
Hey,
Well done on finishing up! I agree with you and Ann on mixed feelings - but I think we will all be able to use our experience in our studies as well as future profession.
I really liked your comment on "image engineer" - I have never heard that analagy before. I think the role of the PR practitioner can be so different in some business areas, but so similar in others, and I really like to hear how other people (especially overseas) see it.
It sounds like your city is a challenging but exciting place to be working, all the best for the future!
Amanda :)
Hey,
I think you are right when saying that the role is difficult to define and from my experience many people are still not aware of what the profession is about. I thought this was particularly the case in my small island, nice to hear that for you too it is the same. The profession in the hospitality industry, from what I have been able to notice, is more related to guest relation in the hotel and it is not really seen as a top management job.
Being in the communication department nobody has the title of PR practitioners and few of my colleges was really aware of what the role of a PR consist of, when in fact they were doing the PR job; writing the newsletter and media relations. It’s all about communication with stakeholders, managing the flow of information and the image, and it is what the department is doing.
No matter how the person doing the PR job is named if the job is done correctly. However I agree that the tasks if they are separated can duplicate the work and decrease productivity. For me it is very important for the job to be centralized at one point in the company. If this job is done by one department or one person it will be easier for the company to be constant in the information it is disseminating, and this for me is very important as we have seen in class from some case studies if the company’s do not talk with one voice the result can be disastrous.
However I think your company is right by making sure everyone is part of maintaining the company’s image, as in the hospitality industry, and in the service industry, particularly for frontline employees who the face of the organization.
I hope you have been able to change some minds!!
Good luck for the rest!!!
Jenna
I've always wondered why does a hotel don't have a PR person. Looks like the general manager is doing all the work.
Even so, I think public relations work is also part of the general manager's job description if he is the face that frequently goes out and meet with the stakeholders. He probably just needs a PR assistant to help him strategize the hotel's PR plan.
Hi there,
Congratulation, you have completed your internship. I believe everyone would have the same feeling as you when it goes toward the end of this journey.
I am very impress that you have raised out PR tasks issues. I know this issue is not new in Miri, because I was also facing similar case here. I can see most of the hotel industry or even big companies are still blurring with the classification of PR tasks.
I think you are right, with the establishment of PR position in the company; it helps to lighten the load of many positions and increase the productivity of the company.
PR is like other professional job as well, it need specialist to do it with full efficiently and effectively. Not to say that other position cannot make it, but what I mean here is the specialization. Let the personnel do what they are specializing in, because this in return will enable the accomplishment of otherwise unattainable goals.
So, together we wish that our city will continue to grow in PR profession. Good luck and have a nice day.
Best Regards,
Sherly
Curtin Miri
Post a Comment