Monday, February 9, 2009

My Final Week of Training - Ling Yii Yang 13474643

The week has arrived and as usual it feels so fast. On the 14th of this month will mark the last day of my internship and the completion of two months of training and finally I have time to do some blogging.

Just an updated of what happened, as some would know today is the last day of Chinese New Year and the first day fell on the 26th of January 2009. The hotel I am attached to actually let me co-coordinate the Lion Dance performance in the hotel on that day.

As sad as I was that I had to work on the first day of Chinese New Year but I was happy that my supervisor trusted me to do this task. For those who do not know why the Lion Dance ceremonies are conducted the following are a series of simple explanations of the 'rituals' and why they are done.

Firstly, the Lion(s) will dance at the front/main door and then move into the residence or building. Usually after that, they will be brought to the important areas of the house/building so that they can do a little 'ritual dance' (YouTube should have a lot of these videos). This is done so as to 'scare away' the 'evil spirits/bad mojo' and thus bringing good luck. 

For the hotel, the Lions were brought to the entire hotel but not every single room. They were brought into all function rooms and halls, offices, the reception desk, the Executive Lounge as well as the the Presidential Suite (you can view the photoes from my Facebook).

At the end, the performance was brought to the main door again where they did an incredible performance of the Lion taking a cabbage from a very high position while jumping on pillars and as a finale a drum medley of 24 drums.

My role in this event was to prepare the Event Order Form, guide the Lion Dance Troupe with my supervisor, be the emcee of the event and to ensure that the refreshments for the Troupe is ready for them after the performance/'ritual'. Simple but quite a lot to do.

Basically, this is one of the yearly events which the hotel holds to celebrate the festive seasons especially with the guests who are celebrating it but are away from home (Same goes for the caroling I joined during Christmas Eve). 

This is just one of the many things I have been apart of these few days which I will post when I have more time to compose it. 

Thank you for your time reading my posts. Please feel free to leave a comment.


4 comments:

F.S.Huey said...

Hi Yii Yang,

Which hotel you are attached to?
I'm glad that you're having fun despite that the event fell on the CNY.
my company was kind to us, allowing us to have holiday on CNY.

Anonymous said...

I am attached to ParkCity Everly Hotel Miri.

Questing GM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KC said...

Holding functions on festive seasons can be a Public relations nightmare because they tend to be grand affairs for our country and thus more detailed planning is much needed.

It feels good once you managed to pull it off but hard to gauge how successful the event was other than to promote the celebratory mood.