Hey,
It’s been very busy at my internship of late, as the company has been going through major changes. They are undertaking a new venture, changing their entire image. So I have been helping with a separate event from the company. The company has its own charity, the Greater Good Foundation. The idea behind the charity is to build a small community of houses for women and children affected by domestic violence. The housing community will be built outside of Perth, where women will be able to get their life back on track and be provided with counselling, etc. Obviously it is a big and expensive project, so to help reach their goal; they will be holding a White Butterfly Ball to raise funds and to get sponsors on board. So at the moment I’ll be the one who is working on publicising the event while they work on the company.
The project is pretty big although the event isn’t until September, so this is what I’ll be working on until the end of my internship. I’m looking forward to this project, it seems very exciting. So far I’ve just been brainstorming ideas and helping with the design template that will be used to publicise the event.
I’ve found it really good working with a smaller company as I get to learn all aspects of the company and as their budget can be quite small it makes you try hard to find alternative ways for staying in such a small budget. Nearing the end of my internship I feel much more confident with the tasks they have given me and feel I’ve come a long way from the start.
One thing I’ve learnt is how different it is being in the working field compared to studying it at Uni. Many people will tell you this, but it’s not until you do it yourself you realise how different they are. There are so many aspects to public relations, its finding what’s best for you and what you are better at in order to succeed.
Until next time,
Stacey
3 comments:
Hi Stacey,
It sounds like you have a really good place for your internship.
I would love to do an event! Have you decided if this is what you want to eventually do in the long run?
I agree with you completely when you say that studying PR at uni is nothing in comparison to actually working in the field.
PR really is so broad and thankfully so. I often think about how boring it woul be to be a nurse or a teacher, because that is all that you are every single day, whereas doing my internship has made me appreciate the fact that in PR every day is unpredictable, changing and challenging.
Good luck with the rest of your placement!
Holly
Hi Stacey,
I really agree with you that working and studying is completely different each other.
I am doing my internship in a company where there is no PR department and I can see that they really need one as there are many aspects in the working environment that falls in the PR field.
Good Luck
Ritchie
Hi,
To answer your question Holly, Events is definetely exciting and thrilling, so it would be something I look into. However what I've really enjoyed is working in the not-for-profit sector, so interesting as you are given so much more flexibility.
Thanks guys, hope your interns are going great as well
Post a Comment