Thursday, May 28, 2009

Drum Media Blog 2

As a smallish magazine competing against a well established and recognized competitor in Xpress Magazine, Drum Media needs to set itself apart and be able to offer a better service than its rivals. The things I learnt at uni regarding stakeholders and the importance of grassroots community stakeholders was evident for Drum Media.

Drum has so far taught me the importance of developing local and community networks and communicating regularly and efficiently with these stakeholders, particularly, when entering a new, already developed market. I am currently working on a project in which Drum is offering reduced (and much more affordable than Xpress) package rates for local Independent bands and artists. My role involves data basing and communicating with these bands. So far I have communicated with over 200 and set to reach more.

It is good to see that the ethics I possess are reflected in Drum’s dealing with local artists – the heart of their publication. Offering extremely affordable packages (adv and editorial) to indi bands show a conscious that some competitors and peers of SPA do not possess.

1 comment:

Luke-13115230 said...

Hi Luke,

It’s nice to see a PR 393 student enjoying the benefit of some good PR experience at what seems like a cool and innovative company, dedicated to the local community music seen and not the bottom line! In our chosen industry ethics can often be one of the first casualties of doing business, so its ultra refreshing to hear about solid PR work that is in line and compatible with someone’s ethics. Personally I don’t think as PR practitioners we have to choose, we can work in PR and not have to sell toxic waste. This semester I did my placement with the Education department, it was nice working for an organisation that, while does have its problems, is essentially trying to help people. Also nice to hear about a smaller sized company benefitting from your corporate skills and expertise, keep flying the flag brother.

Cheers

Luke - 13115230