Hi guys..
here is another issue I would like to share: EMPLOYEE RELATIONS.
Yesterday, it was the birthday of a colleague in the editing department and we made a surprise birthday party for her.
Then, i thought about the multiple lectures we had on Employee relationship and its importance.
I read in another post on the blog that celebrating birthdays etc.. are frivolous events that are not meant to enhance relations with the employees. But i don't think so, since @ TOTEM, though often there are many 'frivolous' events, there is no much difference in the hierarchical structure of the organisation. That is, the management do take care of its employees needs, they are very open and regularly involved in the day to day activities.
For instance, here each monday morning, we take breakfast together to narrate how we spent our week end.
then, they do celebrate birthday parties of the employees.
The management also ensures that each employee feels comfortable in what they are doing and they are encouraged to speak out their mind.
I, as an intern student, I feel extremely comfortable though i spent only 12 days up to now. I was warmly welcomed and I am encouraged to share my opinions on diverse subjects and activities that are done by the organisation. Employees are very keen to help others as well.
will update more soon...
Sabrina
xxx
2 comments:
Hi Sabrina,
I completely agree with you on the matter that celebrating employee birthdays etc are NOT frivolous events. I believe they are a very important aspect to building interactive and open workplace environment.
The workplace environment I am currently doing my placement in is very similar to yours, in the sense that there is not a definite hierarchical structure and two-way communication is very much encouraged.
My workplace also celebrates employee birthdays by having a morning tea or lunch for them. I found that it created a comfortable situation for all staff to socially interact with one another and gives everyone the opportunity to get to know one another – in a pressure free environment.
I think that the more that staff interact with one another on a social level, the better they are going to get along and therefore the better they are going to work together and help each other in the workplace. In addition, an employer that creates this type of open interactive workplace environment is going to benefit form higher employee retention, as employees are going to more loyal and better represent someone they enjoy working for.
Hope you enjoy the rest of your placement.
Alex Kempthorne
Hello, Sabrina
Hope that your internship went fine.
I totally agree with you as where I am working it is just like in TOTEM. There is no such hierarchal status. The director even comes to have lunch with us and make jokes. He also asks about health and if we are pleased with the work if we are facing other difficulties. The other members of the other departments are just like him.
I find it very good on a PR perspective as there is more dialogue going on and it is more easy afterwards if we have a problem to ask him directly.
No barriers can further help the workers to work more and better as they are in an environment that they are at ease with.
Not only the lunch that they share, but there was a volunteer that her birthday falls on a Saturday, some of her team mates even bought gifts for her as they will not meet on weekdays. I find it pleasing that such environment exists.
Hope that it continues as such in the future
Regards
Joyce
Post a Comment