Thursday, August 13, 2009

Dusty at the Department for Communities (Perth WA)

Hi Guys,

My name is Dustin (Dusty) and over the semester break I did my work placement at the Department for Communities (DfC) in West Perth. I know I'm a little late to the game for this blog but I’m hoping out of the four wall posts that I do, that those who read them might be able to get something out of it.  

The DfC was formed in 2007 and brings together policy officers that were previously part of the former Department for Community Development.  The DfC values:

-The voice and strength of communities

-Community ownership

-Diversity and inclusion

-Social justice

-Citizenship

-Flexibility and innovation

The Department incorporates a strong focus on strategic policy, research and evaluation with a particular emphasis on seniors, careers, volunteering, early years, children, families, youth and women.  

Over the course of my internship, I worked under Sheryl Fewster who is the Director for community relations.  Sheryl has had over 25 years experience in PR following on from a journalism career in Perth and London and is a qualified pr, marketing and communications practitioner. Sheryl along with Anissa my supervisor, and many other really hard working staff taught me a lot over the course of my placement.  I worked on several projects including Seniors Awards 09, a communication strategy for Child Care Legislation, NAIDOC week (National Aboriginal and Islander Day Observance Committee), an Indigenous Youth Leadership Program, ‘One Sky Many Paths' as well as drafting media statements for Robyn McSweeney (Minister for child protection; Community Services; Seniors and volunteering; Women's Interests) and attending a press conference where the minister announced a security rebate for seniors.

Okay so this was just a little insight into what the DfC is all about and what my role included as an intern for the department. My next blog will talk about a day in the life of Dusty at the DfC regarding a Family Fun Day during the week of NAIDOC and a few other things.  I hope this wasn't to boring, if there are any questions or if anyone can offer me any advice or pointers that would be great, cheers

Dusty

3 comments:

Chicken Butt said...

Wow! That's wonderful, I will be having a camera shy moment. But of course it will build up the confident, good for you =)
Being a spokesperson is hard, its important to know everything and knows how to speak well. =)
Keep it up!
All the best!

Regards, Agnes

Chicken Butt said...

Wow! That's wonderful, I will be having a camera shy moment. But of course it will build up the confident, good for you =)
Being a spokesperson is hard, its important to know everything and knows how to speak well. =)
Keep it up!
All the best!

Regards, Agnes

hin said...

Hey Dusty,

It's great to know that you have interned with DfC as well. I just started my internship in DfC and it's kind of interesting to work there.

It so happen that my supervisor is Anissa as well. Though I'm under her, most of my duties came from Allan (do you know him?).

My duties mostly consisted of doing internal communication. Of course, I do hope to participate in the department's major projects in the future.

Anyway, was great to know what you've experienced in DfC. That will give me an idea of what to expect in the future.

Hin