It has been the most intimidating, stressful and challenging phase of this whole internship. The times I had to go for an interview with the director first, then when I had to interview the clients (with the help of the Director) and the times I had to call the journalist to explain and invite them to an event. I was so stressed before each of these experiences and doubted that I could do it. Now that, I have gone through all this, I realise that with practice, with time, it becomes something quite normal and enjoyable. At the end, the journalist knew who I was and it became normal when I had to call them and invite them to events and explain what it was about.
Usually it is Public Relations Practitioner who has to go after journalist, invite them or try to get an article published, I had the pleasant surprise to be asked by a journalist to submit an article during 2 weeks, because the magazine was out on each Wednesday, before the event for them to publishe something about the event. It changes from PR persons trying to get media coverage.
Tips when you have an interview and phoning.
Be prepare to answer question
Take your time, don’t talk too quickly, make sure you articulate well
And they are people just like you
Most of them are please to help and do understand that you are new in the field.
1 comment:
This is true. Most of the time PR people are the ones pushing news worthy articles to the press. From what I learned during my internship, sometimes journalist edit your whole article. Sometimes they keep 100% of of it. Wasn't it a pleasant, proud feeling to see what you have written printed on newspaper? It certainly was for me. Oh one more important thing when you are on the phone, be polite! Even though they aren't. ;)
Post a Comment