Wednesday, November 4, 2009

A Lesson from Auslan

Hi fellow PR 393

Most of you must have submitted the final report. But not me, I have just completed the 16th day of my internship.

Anyway I just want to share about the organizational culture in my workplace.

In the WA Deaf Society, some of the employees are Deaf and I can’t talk much with them due to my poor sign language. For those of you who do not know what sign language (Auslan) is, it is simply the language for Deaf people.

At the beginning of my work placement, I never realized how hard it could be to communicate with Deaf. After I have been working there for a month, then a question popped up in my head, “Are we talking in a different language?” :)

Even if I know that I communicate in a different language, somehow in my mind Auslan is simply signs, gestures and body movements. I’ve never really thought that Auslan is a different language, and it is a language.

I was somehow reminded of the organisation’s written values (before they changed into the new ones). One of them is “A respect for Auslan as the language of the Deaf community.”

Every volunteer in the WA Deaf Society has an opportunity to learn Auslan every week. Deaf teacher come to the Society’s office to teach the sign language. Too bad for me, I’ve only attended one class so far. There were events happening around in the office that most of the times the Auslan class was cancelled.

It makes me wonder why the Society even wants to organize an Auslan class for hearing staff and volunteers.

I think it is because a respect of Auslan is one of the organisation’s values. After all if you work for an organization, you have to agree with their values. Well, we’ve learned this in one of our lectures on PR ethics. But I also personally think that PR practitioners in non-for-profit organizations possess stronger organizational culture rather than those in profit sector or consultancy.

Am I right? Feel free to drop your opinion.


Annice

1 comment:

Tony said...

Well, I will say "good for you!"

At least , in my image, you have been learned a new language, even if you did realize at the begining in your internship.

It makes me wonder why the Society even wants to organize an Auslan class for hearing staff and volunteers.

"I think it is because a respect of Auslan is one of the organisation’s values. After all if you work for an organization, you have to agree with their values. "
- I did agree with you, I mean, every organizaiton has their own industrial ethics and regulations, you know, even in the diffrent environments, you also will face the so-called cultural barrier.

In my opinion, you have to learn it with your full attentions. Just as what you think, a respect of Auslan is one of the organisation’s values. The popurse for learning it, is not only to understand the way to communicate, but also more important, you could more or less touch the key intangible values of this NGO, you konw, this is the significant for you, the PR practitioners should understand.

In our Chinese old saying " to sacrifice firstly , to gain what you want!" I mean, no matter how many you can learn, just do it with your 100 percent attetnions, maybe the result will not become what you hope, but the key point is that you have learned other intangible wealths in you expierence, yes, this is a way to learn this organziation's unique personality, why not?

P. B. Shelley , the British poet used to have a dominant saying "If winter comes , can spring be far behind ?" Is it? you have taken the first step, so go ahead!

I would like to see your following sharings in the comming days!