Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Of a man named Ally

Like any average human being with emotional attachment; I have a crush on a TV star.

One of my tasks for my 1st week at work consists of the dog-like work of sorting company contacts. A bit like combining Media Connections + the R&R assignment of an info bank.

It should be to no one’s surprise that I’d stumble across big names; producers, executives, etc. But to stumble across a TV crush? Now there’s a question of work ethics. Instinct, primordial lust, and illogical thought says “save that number, email, etc. and stalk the daylights out of that hot piece of meat.” But that would very much go against working ethics in general.

I would say it’s a bit like living in Hollywood, and knowing the address to Brad Pitt’s personal apartment. You COULD break in and steal his undergarments; but that would be unethical of you. Not to mention illegal, and uncouth.

So, needless to say…I will not stalk the incredibly adorable tv-presenter. I won’t even Facebook him (now that I know his full name). I typed his data down, and put his card away.

I did the right thing…right?


Fatiha
LUCT

3 comments:

John Loh said...

Dear Fatiha,

It must be tempting to be in your position. I can already guess which celebrity you're talking about ;). In this industry, we're privy to the top names in business and entertainment. Meeting them, for work or pleasure, is no anomaly.

A colleague of mine recently left the company, but didn't take her business cards. I put myself in her position, and wondered whether I might have done the same. The cards were obtained in her capacity as an employee, but they were technically given to HER.

Its a matter of personal ethics at the end of the day, but to call up someone from the company database for a date - I'm pretty sure that's a no-no. And terribly uncool.

Cheers,
John.

fatihaf8faidzan said...

Dear John, (no pun intended)

I imagine personally handed cards are acceptable to keep. Contacts are contacts; same as how my current company occasionally refers to me for my personal network abuse pre-working here.
Additionally, If you form a personal kinship with the obtained contacts, you take them around with you in your mobile phone/facebook friends anyway.

**But yeah, I'm too fabulous to stalk a celebrity via his name card.

palma@alphaplatform PR said...

oh my gosh!! that must be tough on you!working besides your crush!..

i think it depends on the company's set of ethics, and pr of course,certain companies do not allow office romance at all so if thats the case with your company then you better forget about hooking up with your crush!

lol!! im glad im not in your shoes though!!!