Last Friday was a very emotional day as it was the last day of my placement. I knew that a dream always ends but it was still hard to wake up and leave.
The last week of my placement was very interesting as the Graduate School of Business and Econommics was running their longest event of the year:
"the pre-semester program". All students commencing a 16-subject program are required to attend this exciting academic orientation program. The program has been designed around a case study, which enables students to work in teams, over the five-day duration of the program to solve a realistic business challenge. This event is very chalenging in terms of event management as it required lots of organisation and hard work. Our team has been working on the 2010 pre-semester program for the last 2 months. This year 200 students attended the program.
The team running the pre-semester program (left to right: myself, event coordinator, Aida, event coordinator and Rebecca, event manager).
Behind a such event there is a very important planning process. The key of our sucess for this event is all about planning and details. According to Shone and Parry (2004,95): "the planning, and planning process, plays a key role in the organisation and management of special events." I was one the students in PR Techniques wondering: "why it is so important to break down every single action of the event?" and if it is even useful to go that far into details. I can now with NO DOUBT claim that it is vital to plan an event with careful detail.
When started this event hundred of papers were giving to me and I asked: "why do we have so many tables and running schedules for the same event?". My colleagues told me that everything will be common sense once the event starts. Indeed, next Monday I could see how crucial it was to have those papers. When a such event happens we cannot supervise everyone due to a lack of time. Only the running schedules can make everybody stay on track. As Shone and Parry (2004,95) state: " the larger and more complex events become, the more detailed and systematic the planning will have to be". Papers are useful and can often determine the sucess of an event.
During this event I had the opportunity to show my range of skills concerning event management. I was responsible for managing catering orders for the whole week and the closing function which aims to officialy close the pre-semester program. I successfully achieved that task and I took a lot of pleasure in doing that. Moreover, I supervised groups of student hosts. In supervising those students, who were very essential in running this event, I discovered a strong leadership spirit which has helped me in improving my confidence.
A group of student hosts
This placement taught me a lot and it has been amazing. It has enriched my PR skills and built other important skills towards my future career. I have done my placement at the perfect time. The Graduate School of Managment changed to the Graduate School of Business and Economics during my placement which has required a lot of work to change all the communication materials. I was able to help and show the different range of skills I had as a PR professional. My managers had faith and trust in me and gave me a lot of opportunies to demonstrate my skills.
My dream is over, but I'm pleased to inform you that I might start a postgraduate degree in July in the Graduate School of Business and Economics. I can then join the student experience which is in charge of events, as a casual while doing my two years studies. I keep my fingers crossed...
In order to thank me, the organisation invited me for a good-bye party which was very thoughtful and I really appreciated it.
If anyone wishes to apply for a placement to the University of Melbourne let me know and I will put you in contact with the director of the organisation. PR is all about networks :).
Thanks for reading my posts and good luck for your 2010 studies... and do not forget to dare to keep dreaming...

No comments:
Post a Comment