Saturday, March 20, 2010

First day at Tourism WA

Hi Everyone,

This is my first official blog, but I have enjoyed viewing everyone's posts for the first few weeks of semester. I am currently doing my work placement with Tourism WA and completed my first day this week. It was a very exciting and overwhelming first day, as this is my first time gaining experience in a real working environment with my desired profession. I chose Tourism WA because I believed I would gain experience in variety of PR roles while combining my interest in tourism and travel.

The first half of the day was spent getting to know about the organisation and the role of the PR department. I was introduced to the members of 'Destination PR' who are responsible for consumer's public relations and introduced to members responsible for the government relations of the organisation as Tourism WA is a government department.

I was then briefed on what my duties and responsibilities were going to be for the duration of my internship, which will be assisting the implementation of Tourism WA's new campaign and brand 'Experience Extraordinary.
'http://www.tourism.wa.gov.au/Experience_Extraordinary/Pages/Experience_Extraordinary.aspx

The Experience Extraordinary brand, has been launched through the 'The Experience Extraordinary taxi ride' which consists of four phases and what I will be assisting with. It took me a few hours to learn about the campaign, the key messages, goals, objectives, the key public being addressed and the many tactics being used. Once I got my head around the campaign my tasks for the day were based around an upcoming event that was for the launch of one of the campaign's phases.
My duties:
1. Think of ways to attract key publics to the event
2.Design a media template
3. Think of media that Tourism WA could use to promote this event
4. Research key attractions for the key towns that are apart of this campaign

This was my first time attempting to put theory into practice and it felt amazing. The big thing that I reflected on was the mutual relationship the media and PR department have in 'needing' each other. I remember taking notes of this in my lectures and tutorials, but this was the first time thoroughly understanding this relationship during my first day in a real working environment. The campaign's success solely depends on the chosen broadcasting and print media to get the word out there to attract key publics and this was my first time experiencing this where you call up Channel 7 and say "We have another story for you."

Overall, it was a great first day and I look forward in sharing more of my experiences with you all.
Ann-Marie M





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great first day! Your tasks sound pretty interesting and look like they'll require lots of creativity, which is always fun. I remember on my first day, I was given a list of 10 tasks to complete and felt a bit overwhelmed by it all. Don't worry, you'll get used to working in an office environment in no time. Goodluck next week.