Hey everyone,
Hope everyone internship is going on well? well am done with mine and just thought i should talk about the importance of having a plan B just to be on the safe side, during any event. Well over my internship period i have come to learn one thing that always seems to occur every time an event is taking place. The media must at all times be kept happy and two the organization expects you to get the job done no matter what.
One thing people should note about public relations is that the people who work in this field are just human beings just like everybody else and should be treated the same way. Back to the issue at hand which is crisis management the importance of always having a plan just in case something goes wrong always saves so much hustle and time. Now i know why when i was in class we learnt how to always have a team with assigned roles when something goes wrong. I think the way PR has evolved today has something to do with Globalization.
The United States may have been where public relations originated from and they are the people who set the guidelines many Public Relations practitioner's now follow but many companies now have branches around the world. Meaning they have to adhere to the way the people in a certain country do things.
Always remember that during any event each team member should have more than one assigned role. One should be during the event and the second should be what they should do when something goes wrong. This helps so much because instead of people running around doing five things all at the same time, each person knows what should be done and fast.
Over the course of my internship i have to realize that organization and proper planning are key factors that determine the success of any event. Hard work and team work also plays a very big role on how the public relations team effectively does their work.
A crisis always tends to occur and public relation's practitioner's always have to be on top of their game.
2 comments:
Hi Natasha,
I agree with you that it is extremely important to have a contingency plan in place when planning and executing an event. The media must be communicated with from a PR perspective or they will run with a story that may not work in your favour and cause damage to the reputation of your organisation.
I am doing my internship with Tourism WA and at the launch of their 'Extraordinary Taxi ride,' the taxi had a flat battery and did not start. The media took the opportunity to publicise this news angle. "Embarrassment,"and "worst possible way to start the tourism campaign," were popular phrases used in local and international media new stories. This shows the importance of crisis management and even if you predict any crisis that could happen on the day, there is always an unpredicted crisis that could occur.
I hope you enjoyed your internship, I am only half way through but loving every minute of it.
Ann-Marie M
Hi Natasha and Ann-Marie
I wish I could agree with you both but I have an alternate view on crisis management that I learnt during my internship stint at Perfect Relations in India.
You see cisis management is not just about lullying the media into buying your version like Ann Marie seems to suggest. Rather, I believe, it's about building relationship with the media. "Give them a taste of what we stand for," is what I remember my supervisor telling me. Once they know you, not as a spinning agency but, as an agency working towards building mutually respectful relationship based on tenets of professionalism the media will be more considerate of you, more aware of your intended actions and less negative of your failures. This is I think crisis management in its ideal condition.
Having said this I also have to agree that is an ideal condition and like in Physics and Chemistry ideal condition is mostly not a real condition.
I am sure you girls will agree with my point of view, at least parts of it!
Cheers!
Suhas Tadas
Miri
Post a Comment