Monday, June 28, 2010

Creative vs Corporate

The past couple of days at GT Media have been quite involved and I have learnt a fair bit about different aspects of PR already.

One of the main things I have learnt so far is that press releases aren’t always so straight to the point. They will always differ according to the client and the story angle. At uni I have been so used to writing press releases from a corporate point of view I didn’t realise that sometimes they need to be more creative and eye catching.

Creativity is hard to define because it will either come to you straight away or it may take a while. When it is the latter it is pretty frustrating! I am very lucky all the girls that work at GT Media are ex journalists so they are used to developing something creative. You can have fun with some media releases if it is relevant to what the client wants.

Something else I have learnt in the past couple of days is that I would like to try something slightly more corporate before I head over east and try to get into fashion. I think it is important to be well rounded when it comes to getting experience in PR. It would be good to be able to see how in house PR is in a more corporate environment.

I’m really glad work experience is a part of our PR course because you can learn so much and consider things you would have never thought to look into before.

In terms of general PR work, I am getting used to writing several PR communication strategies and the way they are quite short and straight to the point. This differs from uni because I have always written such long and involved PR strategies, but in a consultancy time is restricted when there are several clients.

2 comments:

Sean84 said...

Creativity. Everyone wants it, some people have it, but even those that do are hard pressed to do it on demand.

I detest the phrase, 'thinking outside the box'. If everyone is outside the box, then really, the guy(or girl) still inside the box is the outstanding one.

If someone comes up with an innovative idea with merit, then I'm all for it. But I think being different or new for its own sake is silly and can be detrimental.

Boikanyo Neo Motekwane said...

Hi, Boikanyo Neo Motekwane here. My lectuer used to say 'Public Relations is a bit of everything' Yes it is true. PR is a bit of maths, commerce, fashion etc. I am sure about this one because at Salina and Associates we do calculations as in media coverage, fashion as refering to our clients.

To your point Ali, i agree with you creativity is hard to define. We may think of creativity as in drawings or art. The question is' IS THERE CREATIVITY IS PR. Creativity in Public Relations involves developing new themes for stories, creating new media opportunities.It involves incorporating ideas into proven routines. This is what we are doing for our clients at Salina & Associates Public Relations. I believe you are doing the same thing at GT Media Ali. Thanks

boikanyo Neo Motekwane LUCT