Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Professionalism and Passion

I didn't expect to be touched. I have always had respect for the elderly and each one of these seniors, of course there are many more out there, have lived through life's challenges and still turned out to be the kind loving souls they are.

Yesterday's blog was me sharing what I had uncovered while working with DFC and what things a simple day of photography can unfold.
This is work and apart from professionalism, passion is another key driving force.
These photographs are for our media statements for Seniors Week. Though it is not my project or responsibility I am very proud to be a part of it. I have also secured my interest in attending the
Awards Ceremony, if they would have a place for me and would need an extra hand in setting up the event.
The photographs, as I said, are of the finalists in the Bendigo Bank Seniors Awards, and each would have an article written about them. A photo is important in an article. You should capture the essence of the article in that one shot. The photo itself helps tells the story and reflects what the article is essentially trying to say.
I've learnt that in order to make the person you are photographing comfortable it's best to keep their hands busy. This is what Allan, our communications officer and mentor has said, and he's been practicing this religiously. I must say it works. And there's always a laugh that goes along the many attempts at a photo.
I am currently in the process of getting a media statement approved but I would really like to take another photo for the article rather than the one I've been sent. That'll be my request.
It is true what they say (who are "they" anyway), you learn a little something everyday. And I knew that I would learn something in carrying out this unit, I'm sure everyone does, but you just don't exactly know how you would go about it. What will happen along the way. No matter what it is it should always been taken constructively. Ah, that's the next step.
I've learnt about journalism. Probably not a whole lot but the writing styles journalists have. And the writing styles of The West Australian too. Short and sweet is the way. No closed inverted commas was what we were told.
I've been more interested in Marketing but my mind's changing......
I know I said I was going to write a little more about the 3 finalists I met but I don't have the rest of the pictures I would like to include in this blog so it would have to be another time.
Enjoy each and every moment of your placement. See you soon.


No comments: