Thursday, October 28, 2010

social media Bigger than what U think

Hi everyone,
As I mentioned in previous post, this post is all about Social Media!! I found a lot of statistics on social media while I'm doing my research for Socialite Media on social media trends, all the numbers about social media, only 1 word can describes,"wow". Let me share with you guys what I found :).
  • 2-3 new Twitter accounts are activated every second
  • Twitter average has 50 Million tweets per day
  • Wikipedia has more than 14 Million articles and written by 75,000 contributors in 260 languages
  • Wikipedia has viewed by 684 Million viewers
  • YouTube is the 4th most visited website in the internet
  • Facebook has more than 500 Million of users and 350 Million are active users
  • 50% of Facebook active users log onto the site everyday
  • Average time facebook users spend at the site are 55 minutes
  • 83% of all companies use Facebook
  • Australia is the No.1 on globally in usage of social media followed by United States and Italy
  • 4 in 5 Australian internet users (78%) sent or shared a photo in the past year
  • 9 in 10 Australian internet users (86%) are looking to fellow users for opinions and information about products, services and brand
  • The most popular platform that companies use are Twiiter accounts and Fortune 100 list have at least one Facebook fan page
There are numerous statistics for social media in the web, yet, social media will keep growing in the future, its really a powerful tool influence people perception and spread the news. Well, people says technology is business channel,i agree with it. Yet, social media sites are the medium for organisation to communicate with its audience. There are so many things I did not know about social media before my research, now i have a clear idea on social media. What you think of the social media statistics that I have posted? It's really bigger than what we think

Cheers,
Jessica :)

6 comments:

Joelle1001 said...

Hi Jessica

I thought those statistics are amazing. I knew social media was big but I didn’t think it was that big. I also agree with the statement “technology is business channel”. I think social media is a very useful medium to use, though if using Facebook and Twitter, you need to be control because there are risks involved. The statistic that most surprised me was, “83% of all companies use Facebook”. I honestly did not think that such a high percentage of businesses would use Facebook. I imagine that this statistic along with the others will grow over time.

I learnt and completed a lot with social media during my internship. I found this was one of my favourite areas to work in. I created a Facebook page for one of my consultant’s main clients and I am responsible for monitoring the page and keeping it active with relevant updates. This is convenient for me because I often go on Facebook to check my own account. =)

Thank you for sharing those statistics.

From Joelle

Janica said...

Hi Jessica,

I had the same expression as you when I first read the statistics. WOW! 50% of Facebook users log into the site each day. That means 125million people visit facebook each day! That's huge! Moreover 83% companies use Facebook. Social media is definitely the new and successful business channel.

I myself is 'addicted' to Twitter and Facebook as well. I came across many information about companies and their messages as well. These are definitely the convenient and innovative way.

Thank you for posting these statistics :)


Cheers,
Janica

Averil Wells said...

Hi Jessica,

Like yourself, Joelle and Janica, I too am extremely surprised with your research and how many people use social media. The statistic you mentioned about Facebook Australia being no.1 globally is astounding! I know a lot of my friends and myself included use Facebook but considering our population compared to other countries like the US, I would never have thought we would be the biggest users in the world.

As you all have said, social media is not only a great medium for an organisation to get its name and business out there, it is also an effective way to interact with customers and the general public.
I definitely agree that social media will keep growing in the future and it will be interesting to compare future statistics to these ones you've shared with us.

Thanks for the insight into how powerful social media really is.

Averil

Lulu said...

Hi Jessica,

I've learnt and completed a lot with social media during my internship in Perth 2011. In this company, I'm the one who updates Facebook and Twitter where there is an upcoming event or anything that is excited for everyone to know.

I guess you have totally learn a lot from this company - Socialite Media. Furthermore, it is so surprise that 83% of companies are using Facebook - wow, impressive!!!

Anyway, thanks for this awesome information about the social media. Good luck in your placement.

Peace

From, Lulu

vamoskikiyan said...

Hi Jessica,

Thanks for you article. The information is very useful.
Indeed social media is a powerful tool of PR practiontors.
It helps organisations to engage with their stakeholders in a collaborative and effective way.
My intership is mainly about the potentail of using Web 2.0 tools/ social media to encourage ineraction between the government and the citizens. During my research, I found that the Australia government is actually one of the most active governments in Gov 2.0 movement.
It is really interesting to see how social media continue to grow as a major communication tool in the society and how it can help companies in PR area in the future.

Rebecca Fraurud said...

Hi Jessica,

Wow I'm amazed by those statistics too! During my internship at the Department of Education, social media was often talked about and I've discussed introducing some forms of social media in my report's recommendations.

I had no idea of the influence it is having in the business world - with 83% of all companies using it! Imagine just how much that statistic will grow in the future as we become more involved with the social media world.

Thanks for your insightful statistics!

Bec :)