Sunday, October 3, 2010

'Spring in the Valley' has kicked off for 2010!

Hello fellow bloggers!

SPRING IN THE VALLEY 2010 has now began, however before sharing the exciting part I will share with you some of my other experiences since my last blog.

Yet another week has passed us! I don't know about anyone else but it never ceases to amaze me how fast my final semester is flying let alone how quickly my placement at the City of Swan is passing me by. Having just completed my tenth day of my placement I already feel that I have learnt so much, not only about public relations but also about working within a professional setting.

I know upon my readings that at least one other person has too experienced the life saving tool of the ‘mail merge’. I had heard of the term prior to this week at prac however have never been shown how to use it; and hear it from me, once you know how it’s done you will never think twice about using it again. What an extremely useful tool when organising large scale events!

Whilst I have now been working at the City of Swan for quite some time I am amazed by the amount of projects that my supervisor has on the go at once! There is always something new and exciting to tackle each week that I go in and I thoroughly enjoy having the ability to use for creative thinking each time.

I don’t know about anyone else but I believe that throughout the duration of my placement so far I have seen an immense improvement in my writing skills. From day one at my placement I have been writing media releases, of course having them checked prior to being sent out to the media, each day I see less and less red ink marks come back on the edited copy which is great. The time that it takes me to write a media release has also drastically reduced now that I have become used to my supervisors writing style.

On a more exciting note....Spring in the Valley kicked off last Friday! Beginning the new month long event with an elegant cocktail evening in one of the underground cellars in the Swan Valley. Fortunately a great deal of media that were invited to the event did actually RSVP as wishing to attend so hopefully we will gain some exciting media coverage. I am looking forward to attending my placement this Wednesday to find out how the event went. If you haven’t already, be sure to check out the Spring in the Valley website for 2010 for a list of events and activities throughout the month of October so that you too can be involved! Plenty of exciting activities for everyone to enjoy, so come on out and truly experience ‘Perth’s Valley of Taste’! www.springinthevalley2010.com.au

Happy blogging!

Teale

5 comments:

Ciara Vernon said...

Hey Teale,

Sounds like you’ve been really busy! I too have found that my placement has gone past really quickly, as I have almost reached the end of my required hours. I definitely think that time seems to go by when you are enjoying yourself and personally much prefer being busy and having more to work do than to be bored and feel as though my time isn’t being worthy!

At the Global Good Foundation I am also in awe of how my boss and supervisor manage to take on so many tasks and keep their heads above water. It really has been a great lesson to watch how they multitask and get everything completed without letting the quality of their work drop. I think the key is to be organised and stay positive, which I’m sure many of us have all learnt along the way by now!

I’m really glad you have enjoyed your placement so far; Spring in the Valley in particular must be an exciting project to work on. I really hope I can make it there sometime over the month!

Good luck with it and the rest of your placement :)

Elle Hardy said...

Sounds like you're having lots of fun Teale, and trying out lots of new things - good work!

In other news, I will be heading to SITV this Saturday so I'm looking forward to checking out your handiwork.

Enjoy, and good luck with the rest of your placement!

Elle :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Sound like you have it all under wraps Teale! I agree, what a great event to work on!

I also agree with how much you can improve your skills in such a short amount of time. I also found that by the end of my placement my supervisor was making no changes to my media releases and that I was pumping them out very quickly! Its a big improvement from PR Techniques! It makes me excited to think of all of the skills I will learn when we go out into the 'real world' upon graduation. Some say that you learn more in your first year out of uni than you do during your whole degree, I guess practice makes perfect!

I am looking forward to your next blogg to see how Spring in the Valley has come together and the feedback that you recieve!

Keep up the good work! :)

stacey tweddle said...

Hey Teale,

Well done on all your hard work so far.

I agree with you about improving writing skills. At the start of my placement I was so nervous to start writing feature articles and media release's. I feel more and more confident now.

I think doing an internship not only gets you excited about graduating and working in the industry, but it also improves your skills before you get out there in the big world!

Good luck with the rest of your placement.

Kind regards,

Stacey Tweddle