I can not believe how fast the semester has gone and how shortly I will be closing the university chapter in my life, which is daunting and exciting at the same time! Tourism WA has been an amazing experience and has given me the confidence to apply for jobs towards the end of my degree. I think this unit was extremely important towards being able to put a foot through the PR world and gain a taste of what is to come.
Leaving Tourism WA was sad as I felt very much apart of the staff after six months of interning, but grateful for the opportunity and experience for my time spent there. The last few days were spent attending to media enquiries and media monitoring. I also spent time on the 'Talking Tourism,' weekly e-newsletter and on the 'Innovations,' monthly newsletter. Both publications are extremely important for communicating with organisational stakeholders.
Talking Tourism covers the latest news, updates, events, marketing initiatives and products for the Western Australian tourism industry and stakeholders and Innovations is a monthly newsletter designed to inform the travel media about new tourism product and destinations in Western Australia. I really enjoyed working on the Innovations publication as it consists of whats hot, lifestyle, food and wine, tour& accomadation and feature section for WA. To do this I would google Perth/WA lifestlye websites and google new restaurants and bars and even the Tourism WA website. After I found information, I would summarise and use it for the newsletter. This gives tourists and consumers destination information for WA.
Another task that I worked on, on my last day, was a media release on 'Summer time in Perth.' This was also very enjoyable as anything summer related in fun to do! This was my first media release so it gave me a chance to use my writing skills developed over the years and put it to use!
Overall, this internship has provided me with practical experience and made me realise I want a career in Corporate PR. I have learnt how important it is to maintain relationship with organisational publics and in particular the media. Tourism WA's Destination PR department relies on the media on a day to day basis and the media relies on the PR department on a day to day basis. Working as a PR intern has helped me improve my writting and verbal communications skills and helped me manage/prioritise tasks.
I wish everyone the best of luck for the future and have enjoyed reading your blogs throughout this semester!
Ann-Marie :)
1 comment:
I think we all share more or less the same feeling after reaching the end of the whole semester.
You are right.
The placement has really beneficial to us in several different ways.
I feel sad about binding farewell to Sun Resorts as well.
You did a great job based on what you have written.
I think that the internship program has been a pleasant part of our study period at university for all of us.
Corporate PR is very interesting and you are right media relations is one of the most important aspects of effective PR.
I was considering a career into the same field as well.
I wish you all the best. =)
Urvi
Post a Comment