Tuesday, November 2, 2010

My last blog...

Hey guys,

Sorry for the late update again. I was woking on my final assignments over the weekend and now I finally have a time to memorise my last day in DAFWA.

It was such as fresh experience to give a presentation in a broad room, everyone was sitting around a large table and watching you. The presentation was orginally a brief summary of the report I wrote for the BYG project, but then I decided to change the topic into an introduction of Gov 2.0 as I found that people attending the meeting may not have a deep understanding of the concepts. My presentation was divided into 3 main parts:
  • Explaning the concept of Web 2.0
  • Introducing Gov 2.0
  • How it works to use Web 2.0 tool in government?
I was pretty nervous at the begining of the presentation because I couldn't remember some of the ideas I supposed to say (and as a non-English speaker, presenting in English still made me felt a bit stress). But then, I felt a lot more relaxed after we started discussing on the topic. Some attendents in the meeting are very experienced people in terms of government 2.0 movement. They contribute some interesting viewpoints towards the topic and I was really glad to hear people shring their thoughts about Web 2.0 from different perspectives.

My internship finished with the presentation, I truly enjoyed the 3 months I spent in DAFWA. The internship did not really related to common Public Relations practice but through the researching process, I found a lot of interesting facts about Gov 2.0 movement. And these findings do confirm my idea on Web 2.0 in Public Relations: It is going to be a era of PR 2.0 in the future as engaging and collaborating with consumers through Web 2.0 tools produce a more effective and interactive communication method. I want to take this chance to thanks my supervisior and colleges who have been encouraging and teaching me lots of valuable knowledge.

By the way, here are some tips I generated for a sucessful presetation:
  • Keep it short and simple: The length of the talk should less than 20 minutes because people would starting losing their concentration after hearing 10 minutes of speech.
  • Engage with your audiences: Prepare questions to ask the audiences, it helps you to know what theu understand from the presentation and also keeps them awake!
  • Using visual materials: Adding videos in the presentation would be a good to help audiences to find the presentation intersting and understand more about your idea, but please keep it short (less than 5 minutes).
Don't know if they would work for you, please feel free to have a try!

1 comment:

Rebecca Fraurud said...

Hi KiYan,

It's interesting to read about the presentation you did and yuor work on Web 2.0.

I completed a Government internship at the Department of Education and heard a lot about the Web 2.0 movement. It will be interesting to see the future direction of these tools due to technology advancements.

I can only imagine how you must have felt doing a presentation in a board room! Luckily I didn't present in any board rooms, however, I did attend many meetings in there and I sympathised to the person addressing the whole room as it seemed quite scary!

It's good to hear you enjoyed your internship!

Bec :)