Hi everyone,
I am Doreen from Curtin Singapore. This is mine 1st blogging entry since the start of my internship 2 weeks ago with BSG Communications (a consultancy that offers strategic PR consultation for its client).
My internship kicks off when I met up with my consultant. He briefs me on the 2 accounts which i will be working on during my internship with the company and this is where my hectic working life begins. I have to juggle between full-time job, internship and school work and everything just appear to be URGENT and have to be done immediately but I only have 24 hours a day.
With no time to spare, I started writing out press releases, developing concept paper, drafiting contents for the newsletter and flyers, i started freaking out for a while as there is simply too much work to do and deadline to meet. I take a deep breath to calm myself down, relook on all the duties and deadline given and sort them accordingly. There are crashes on the deadline of work here and there but once they are in place, its less fearful as compare to the inital stage. The next step is simply to fufil the time line set to accomplished the task.
Time management might not be a PR tool but it's definately an important tool to manage our time to meet deadline in such a fast pace industry. It also help me to take away the fear factor for a start for me to concentrate on the important task to complete first.
That's all for now..till mine next blogging sesson...cheers!
Doreen Eng Li Hoe
13304986
Curtin Singapore
4 comments:
Hey Doreen, PR gives new meaning to the term time management. I sometimes find thoughts wondering off in the mist of writing a press release or drafting out a PR plan. But the deadlines sort of puts reality in place. Nonetheless, a much senior person told me that if I am able to manage the work in a PR agency, working anywhere else will be a breeze!!
Hi both, I tend to agree with the statement "working anywhere else will be a breeze!" - no doubt PR Techniques may be something most people will not know if they are not in it, however, the brainfood we get from doing PR is something so valuable that it becomes embedded in us throughout our lives, be in at work or social life. All e best!
Yes! Time management is important, one got to be very organise or at least have a system that works well for you so that you won't missed out anything on your to-do list.
Hi All,
Thanks for the revert and i hope you are coping well with your work in the PR industry.
For the past few weeks, I have been reading through the blogs by our schoolmates and I realised that PR work load is simply too heavy and timeline is short.
Most of them including myself are amazed at how fast it is to develope a PR proposal for our client in real life as compare to the speed we did in school eg: We can spent a few weeks just to carry our research and discussion on 1 project.
Hence, without a proper time management system in place, i guess we will lose our client to our competitors.
Cheers
Doreen Eng
13304986
Curtin Singapore
Post a Comment