With only two "official" days left of my placement, time surely has flown. But it seems as though the end of my placement has gotten busier and busier - which is why I am planning to stay an extra month or so (or as long as I can manage juggling work, uni and this work placement!).
During my extra time here, there is so much going on at the Hospital - we are currently in the process of implementing, launching and researching at least four different communication strategies. New uniforms, new workforce brand, OHS cultural strategy and a very exciting social media strategy!
1) New uniforms: at a first thought, it seems like this would be a relatively easy communication strategy to pull off. Wrong. With over 2300 staff who work alternating shifts (or caregivers as they are known throughout the Hospital), it can be very hard to communicate clearly and effectively with each and every one of them.
I have been in charge of developing posters that let them know what has been going on at each step of the process. I designed posters that explained why we are 'refreshing our image' with new uniforms, when they will be measured and fitted, when they will receive their new uniforms, how to dispose of old uniforms (which will be sent to an African sister charity) and most importantly when to wear them for the big reveal. Posters were stapled to pay slips and put around at main caregiver hot spots around the hospital - as well as managers being briefed on all of the relevant information to then disperse to their teams. Sometimes as PR practioners, we need to return to basic principles - in this case, face-to-face communication. It is often forgotten in this digital age, but I believe something we all need to remember.
The big reveal happened yesterday and so far so good!
2) New workforce brand: This strategy has been in the works for a while now, and will officially be launched next week with a big party. Since I started my internship after most of the research had already been done and all was approved - I have mainly been involved in the launch event. So far I have ordered over $500 worth of Chokeby Road chocolate prizes, over 300 mini French pastries to add to the 150 ice cream cones, 150 chocolate dipped fruit skewers and fairy floss that has already been ordered to be supplied at the event for the caregivers.
Through all the work we have been putting in for the launch event, I am learning the huge importance of running sheets! Not only for the event day itself, but for the weeks leading up to it also. For everything to run smoothly, you need to know what needs to be done, what time it needs to be done by, who is doing it and whether they know they have that responsibility. In the past, I have been extremely cautious of relying on others, but the environment in the Hospital is so great that almost every task has a shared workload and everyone has a say in how things could be improved. I'm loving it!
Details of the launch event and the other two communication strategies to come in my next post. Hope everyone is still enjoying themselves at their placements!
No comments:
Post a Comment